Talk

Advanced search

Part-time Bank Holiday Pro Rata

(5 Posts)
Blondey17 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:32:46

Hi, Wondering if anyone can help. I work 3 days a week (Tues/Weds/Fri) and I get the Bank Holidays Pro rata’d which is great and so I get approx 3 days extra annual leave per year.

My boss has told me today that I have to take these 3 ‘bank holiday days’ in the same week as a bank holiday as he says it is unfair that I can choose when to take my ‘bank holidays’ when others can’t. Can he make me do that?

So Easter Monday falls on Monday when I don’t work but he would want me to take one of my ‘bank holiday’ days in this week - I hope that makes sense.

Currently I just take them when I want. He is also trying to dictate that I have to take a week at the beginning of August and is insisting on it.

I’m not sure that employers are allowed to dictate when you take your annual leave.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

prh47bridge Wed 11-Oct-17 00:30:29

I'm afraid your employer can dictate when you take your annual leave provided it is reasonable and non-discriminatory.

BakedBeans47 Wed 11-Oct-17 20:33:56

Yes they can. Plenty of employers dictate when employees take leave. It does sound a bit wankerish on his part mind you.

There may be provision about this in your contract or if not they have to give you twice the length of time of the holiday they want you to take eg 2 weeks notice to take a week’s holiday.

HashtagTired Thu 12-Oct-17 02:48:48

Yes they can. The same way FT people are told to take their holidays on bank holiday days. And in schools for school holidays, and in factories for factory shutdowns.
An employer can enforce holiday providing they give you reasonable notice which is at least twice the period of tine the annual leave is for. So for 1 weeks leave, they would need to give two weeks notice at least.

In your case, it seems what your employer is suggesting is ok.

Blondey17 Thu 12-Oct-17 14:11:53

Thanks for your responses, I guess I have to go with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now