Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best interview advice

(5 Posts)
TheNoseyProject Fri 06-Oct-17 11:45:49

I have a big interview on Wednesday. It’s competency based. It’s for a promotion and I’ve had 2 before and narrowly missed out so I want to nail this one.

Any tips for feeling confident and focusing and just any advice really will be gratefully received!

RavenLG Fri 06-Oct-17 13:23:54

I'm sure this is all something you know but really do your research on the role and company (as it states promotion I'm sure you're all ready aware of everything you need to). Research what competitors are doing too. Go over previous questions they have asked you and get the correct scenario prepared. Google STARR technique for answering questions. Do you have the feedback from the past interviews? Breath, relax and be yourself and ooze confidence. Oh, and have some questions ready for them

You go this!

TheNoseyProject Fri 06-Oct-17 16:41:12

Thanks! That is helpful, I’ll look up STARR as I think my weakness is trying to cover everything.

ChessieFL Fri 06-Oct-17 19:06:51

Read the job description and person spec carefully to see which competencies they will be looking for then think of times when you have demonstrated that competency, what went well and what you learned and would now do differently. For example, if the job description says you will be managing a team, be prepared for a question like 'tell us about a time when you managed someone who wasn't performing to the required standard'. If you've never been a manager before, say what you would do in that situation.

daisychain01 Sat 07-Oct-17 07:20:19

With STAR competency, focus 100% on your contribution. Don't bring anyone else into it and keep saying I not we.

Rehearse in advance exactly which aspects of the "Must Have" competencies you don't have, so that you don't theorise about what you would do. Fact is it you are too theoretical they could mark you down that you don't have the experience they need and you're too vague and woolly. Find a way to use any past experience as an example to mask the fact you haven't done it before.

Nobody has done everything, but you somehow need them to feel you have!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now