Talk

Advanced search

Expected to keep working through redundancy consultation

(19 Posts)
Strugglingtothinkupnewusername Fri 06-Oct-17 09:40:00

I've name changed for this to avoid outing myself.

Given an 'at risk' letter this morning. Out of the blue. But I don't want to stay in what I think will become a toxic environment after the cull is complete.

We've been told we are expected to continue working, business as usual. Can anyone in HR or anyone who's been through this and left via redundancy tell me what the unofficial expectation is if I don't put myself forward for any of the roles that will be left?

@flowery any advice would be much appreciated

snowgirl1 Fri 06-Oct-17 09:44:25

Sorry to hear that your role's at risk of redundancy.

If you unreasonably refuse a suitable alternative role you would be considered to have effectively resigned, and would not be eligible for a redundancy payment.

It's pretty standard to be expected to work during a redundancy consultation and work the notice period if you're selected for redundancy.

eurochick Fri 06-Oct-17 09:48:03

I agree with snow. You have to keep going. There won't necessarily be a toxic environment after redundancy. It happens.

dantdmistedious Fri 06-Oct-17 09:49:45

Snow is right you have to keep going. If you leave voluntarily you will not be eligible for redundancy.

MissSueFlay Fri 06-Oct-17 09:57:16

There were a very large number of us who were given notice that we were 'at risk', and we all had to keep on working until those who would be going into the consultation process has been identified.

I was one of those, and on the day I was told my role was in consultation they said I could go home if I wanted - the decision is pretty much made at that point that you'd be going. I did and only went back in for the subsequent consultation meetings, to clear my desk and say goodbye to people. I was still being paid for that time - they didn't expect me to continue working after I had gone into the consultation process.

The bit between being on notice and being identified for redundancy isn't nice, but it's usually only a few weeks. If it's a big workplace people will just get on with stuff, you might leave with a cheque in your back pocket, and all will settle down...

kuniloofdooksa Fri 06-Oct-17 09:59:51

I don't know the legalities but in your situation I would work "to rule" (not a minute more than your contracted hours, no going the extra mile) just until the moment you have the reference you need for your next job.

Stopping doing your job due to being at risk of redundancy could be a disciplinary issue - and it vould be cheaper for them to get rid of you via disciplinary than via redundancy depending how long you have been there.

If you don't find a new job quickly it might be that choosing not to apply for any of the retained jobs would be defined as making yourself voluntarily workless and thus affect benefits. Might be a good idea to check.

Clickncollect Fri 06-Oct-17 10:05:07

This was me two years ago. Job put at risk at 11am so I asked if I could go home for the day, which they agreed to. I then worked to rule for the remaining time, smiled and gritted my teeth, even though I was over the moon! There was no above and beyond and I took on no new work, just ploughed away at outstanding tasks that I was in deep with.
In fairness, the company were excellent at trying to place me in other roles (I worked for a huge investment bank) but I politely declined as the world is a small place and I wanted to leave on good terms.

Changingoftheguard Fri 06-Oct-17 10:09:42

I wonder if you work for the same company as me struggling.

If an awful situation to be in and I really for sad for everyone it's such a shame

Changingoftheguard Fri 06-Oct-17 10:22:33

Btw I have no idea who you are though and if it's the company I'm thinking, I work in a different, but very similar department. Probably inevitably be us next

wtffgs Fri 06-Oct-17 10:22:36

It's horrible, isn't it?

About 30 of us were at risk and had to interview for 6 roles in the reduced structure.

I carried I working as I felt very committed to my clients. I'm did get one of the 6 posts but left a few months later as things had become so toxic. Good people had been made redundant and they inefficient ones kept on (friends with manager). I thought it was a very unstable environment.

Can you bear to grit your teeth and stick it out? Much easier to get a job if you've already got one etc

Lots of empathy- it is vile brew

mummyretired Fri 06-Oct-17 10:29:43

I've been through redundancy and participated in other redundancy consultations. You need to keep working throughout consultation and to the end of your notice period, unless your employer agrees otherwise - if not you can be dismissed without redundancy.
The decisions should not have all been made on the day consultation starts, although I appreciate sometimes this happens; it's not 'meaningful consultation' unless employees have the chance to give their input.
You must accept suitable alternative employment if it is offered to you, but you are not obliged to apply for it - advertising the roles is just a way of making the process easier for the employer. I've had this argument many times.

Strugglingtothinkupnewusername Fri 06-Oct-17 11:20:55

Thanks all. I will keep on keeping on and as advised - work to rule. I've put in so many extra hours over the years that the redundancy pay out won't even scratch the surface. How stupid in hindsight.

I feel very stressed by the whole situation.

flowery Fri 06-Oct-17 12:55:42

You need to keep on working as everyone has said. Business doesn't stop just because there's a redundancy consultation on.

You say you don't want to work there afterwards anyway. That's fine, but if you want a reasonable reference you need to bear that in mind.

Presumably if you don't want to work there afterwards you'd like to be selected for redundancy in this process? Have they mentioned anything about volunteers as part of the consultation? If you're sure you want to go, you could ask whether they'd consider voluntary redundancy, which would make the process less stressful for you, as well as reducing the likelihood of colleagues who might wish to stay there being made redundant when they don't want to be.

If your post is made redundant and there is a suitable alternative you refuse to accept, you will forfeit your redundancy pay. So asking about voluntary might be more sensible if you're sure you want out.

Strugglingtothinkupnewusername Fri 06-Oct-17 13:18:05

thanks flowery I'll check the paperwork. I'll be happy to put myslef forward for voluntary if that's an option.

BakedBeans47 Wed 11-Oct-17 20:38:00

I was made redundant last year and had to work during the consultation and then the 12 week notice period. It was awful.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 13-Oct-17 12:42:12

"Work to rule" - hmm - not good advice!

If you are at risk but so are others if you are seen to be "working to rule" whereas others carry on as normal I know which one I wouldn't select to keep.

Fine to "work to rule" if you don't want to stay in the job and take redundancy but not a good way to make good impressions if you do want to stay!

scottishretreat Fri 13-Oct-17 18:57:00

"Work to rule" - hmm - not good advice!

If you are at risk but so are others if you are seen to be "working to rule" whereas others carry on as normal I know which one I wouldn't select to keep.*
I agree! We've had several rounds of this, and many of the people did find other roles and stay - some sulked and just waited out the time to leave. I think perhaps 30% of our staff still working there have been 'at risk' at some point.
Even if you don't want to stay, I'd recommend you work to the best of your ability until you find another job, you may need a reference and colleagues who see you doing the bare minimum may not be willing to provide a glowing one.

daisychain01 Sat 14-Oct-17 09:03:44

Don’t do it for a glowing reference, most companies give nothing more than dates of employment nowadays.

Put in your best efforts because it will keep up your personal morale, skill set and self esteem, so when you move to a new role, you’ll already be set up for success and not feeling hollowed out by redundancy which can be demoralising (but only if you let it.).

Every day’s a school day, wherever you work!

SuperSunday Sun 15-Oct-17 18:26:45

If you can spend time updating your CV and social media profile. If possible do some training courses and utilise all your contacts. I was made redundant it is a horrible process and it's a relief when the end arrives. I was lucky to find another job fairly quickly. The time when I had no job was more stressful than waiting for the redundancy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: