Talk

Advanced search

Keeping work informed while you are signed off sick

(7 Posts)
Pother Thu 05-Oct-17 10:15:38

How much do you tell your employer? Are they entitled to know anything beyond what is on the sick note? Is there any reason not to be open with them?

I'm not convinced that I will be 100% fit to work at the expiry of my sick note next week.

I would like to pop in for a visit, as I really miss my work. I know that's acceptable, as they've told me I can, but I'm not sure how much detail I should/ought to give. I'm quite happy to be open about my condition, but does that jeopardise me in any way?

2014newme Thu 05-Oct-17 10:17:22

No you can't pop in for a visit that's ridiculous. If you are unfit for work stay home.
Update them before your sick note expires with your revised return to work date.

Notthisnotthat Thu 05-Oct-17 10:20:21

I wouldn't go into work while signed off, but I did meet my boss in a cafe before going back, she was happy to meet to offer a phased return or discuss any amendments that I needed.

Pother Thu 05-Oct-17 11:22:11

Why is it ridiculous to visit work? Just about the worst thing I could do right now is stay at home. I have to keep mobile, and I go for a walk at least twice a day (and I lie down for an hour between walks!).

juneau Thu 05-Oct-17 11:27:06

Well if it's a physical, as opposed to mental health reason why you are signed off, then no it's not ridiculous and if you think it will help you to ease back into work by keeping in touch with colleagues and up to date with what is going on, then fine. Do talk to your boss first though and let him/her know you'll be going in and for how long (i.e. 'I can only stay an hour', or whatever). Also keep your boss apprised of when you intend to return and if your recovery is not on the expected schedule. It's common courtesy and shows professionalism.

2014newme Thu 05-Oct-17 11:46:40

I'd you're signed off you are not supposed to be on work Premises unless you are in a relevant meeting. You can't pop on to say hi and have a coffee. We would not allow this where I work. If your Dr says you are unfit for then we can't have you in the building.

daisychain01 Thu 05-Oct-17 12:59:05

Why is it ridiculous to visit work?

If you look as right as rain (but not quite ready to return) you can guarantee there will be raised eyebrows, people thinking you just fancy a few days off and are strolling in for a chit chat while they've got their shoulder to the wheel. Creeping resentment ensues.

I'd keep your head down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now