Talk

Advanced search

Settlement agreement

(13 Posts)
frenchlife19 Wed 04-Oct-17 17:37:47

My Dh has been in his job for 15 years .Always commuted ,the next job is at least 3.5hour drive so not possible ,he does not want to lodge .Asked about redundancy and was told no ,however company are now prepared to discuss a settlement agreement .Anyone else had dealings with this type of thing .We have been told to get an employment solicitor to look over any proposal

2014newme Wed 04-Oct-17 17:38:58

Yes you take it to your solicitor they review it, you sign it, you get paid to leave the job.

mollifly Wed 04-Oct-17 17:44:49

Where they don't have legs reasoning to make you redundant so this is basically 'paying you off.'

You will have a 'protected' conversation where they will explain the terms and amount offered and then they will send you to a solicitor and cover your first appointment.

The solicitor will review the document and check everything is in order and they your DH understands. A reference is normally included in there that they will agree to give along with the ''announcement' email to let other colleagues know about your DH departing.

Hope this helps.

frenchlife19 Wed 04-Oct-17 17:51:43

Thank you for the responses ,makes things a bit clearer

mollifly Wed 04-Oct-17 17:52:52

If you've got any other questions just ask, I've done a few of these now.

SolidHair Wed 04-Oct-17 18:43:50

I did this when I left for maternity. The company paid my legal fees and provided a really good reference as well. Best thing I ever did! Good luck x

frenchlife19 Wed 04-Oct-17 21:15:19

Me again ,His boss emailed and has indicated 4 -6 months salary plus all wages owed .Does this sound right ? Coming down to meet with him on Friday to discuss

mollifly Wed 04-Oct-17 21:16:36

6 months would be reasonable plus 1 months notice and also any holiday he has remaining however for 15 years that seems low.

If you think statutory redundancy is 1 week for every head worked that's around 3.5 months pay minimum.

frenchlife19 Wed 04-Oct-17 21:26:09

Again thanks for the reply .Can Dh put a case for a higher figure based on years worked ? Guessing this will be taxed

2014newme Wed 04-Oct-17 22:27:25

It's tax free to £30k
Yes of course he can negotiate but do that via the laeyer

frenchlife19 Mon 16-Oct-17 17:51:45

Just a quick update ,Settlement agreement signed at the solicitors today ,9 months salary ,plus we keep the car .Holiday pay etc and salary owed .He starts his new job middle of November .Thank you for all the info

daisychain01 Tue 17-Oct-17 06:57:19

Frenchlife please be careful who you say things to about your DHs SA. They very frequently contain a confidentiality clause in prohibiting any discussion. It could breach the terms of the SA talking about it with family and friends.

frenchlife19 Tue 17-Oct-17 10:06:19

Ah ,Thank you for that .Outside of here I have spoken to no-one ,as has my Dh .Original offer was leaked by someone in the office

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now