Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Advice on when/how to tell temp job about pregnancy

(7 Posts)
Tabbycatrem Tue 03-Oct-17 21:18:18

Hi there,
I'm just looking for a bit of advice really as I'm new to the work world generally as well as the pregnancy world!
Im currently 22 weeks pregnant and started a 3 month temp job last week. The temp agency are aware of the pregnancy but I dont think the company im working for are. I realise that me being pregnant doesnt have any negative impacts on the company as its office based and i finish the assignment a 5 weeks before im due. I just dont know how to broach the subject, whether I should, how to do it, and in a casual capacity which would be easier or take the manager to the side and tell her that way.
I just hate not being able to talk about it especially when half the office chat is baby chat! Any advice would be very appreciated!

Workingonthemoon Tue 03-Oct-17 22:49:44

Would you not be visibly pregnant by now?

Tabbycatrem Wed 04-Oct-17 07:14:01

No im not really showing that much, and because they didn't meet me until last week and because I'm wearing loose fitting clothing I think I just look like I have a bit of a pot belly

missarcher Wed 04-Oct-17 08:31:45

Hmm it's a grey area, you typically have to tell your employer 15 weeks before the week your baby's due, but you've done that so I don't think there's any obligation to tell the manager unless adjustments need to be made or something happens where you can't finish out the assignment

mamatobabes Wed 04-Oct-17 08:54:47

Hmm, it depends. Technically it's down to your agency to tell them. As it's office based should be ok, although you should have a workstation assessment. I temped when I was pregnant, started at 17 weeks. I had to interview for the job and I didn't tell them at the interview but I did tell them once I'd started and had got a feel for them. They were decent, and actually treated me amazingly. They even went out and bought me a new desk chair and monitor stands because i was suffering with my back later on. I worked for them until 4 weeks before I had my baby.

Unfortunately though, pregnancy discrimination is still rife in the workplace and it's so so easy to get rid of temps, no excuses needed. I'd sound them out a bit before saying anything, work hard and make yourself useful (I'm sure you would anyway) and try to build a good relationship with them. This way they hopefully won't be bothered especially as you are due to finish with them around the time you'd be going on maternity leave anyway.

shortcake76 Wed 04-Oct-17 14:06:44

Technically you're employed by the agency rather than the company, so it should be down to the agency to tell them. I assume you have told the agency?

They need to know as they will need to carry out any relevant risk assessments around you doing the job and the pregnancy.

daisychain01 Thu 05-Oct-17 07:22:47

I would seek advice from your agency with the ultimate goal of either you or them informing the company this week. You need the company to know you are pg, it's the responsible thing to do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: