Being given manager stuff when not a manager

(8 Posts)
Underthestonesthebeach Mon 25-Sep-17 13:17:49

I've been in my current role for 6 months. It's a senior officer level job. I have no line management responsibilities.

I've been told I need to direct the work of the officer more (although I don't manage her) and also that I'm now to attend and contribute to the manager's meetings (although I'm not a manager!)

I'm not being paid to be a manager and also have no desire to be one. Should I say something?

OP’s posts: |
Anatidae Mon 25-Sep-17 13:21:08

Is it a significant increase in your workload?
Is it your LM perhaps wanting to defy you for a move up the ladder?
Is it going to be something that you never ever want to do? If you don't do it will it negatively impact you?

I think all our job descriptions these days are a bit fluid, and you need to think about whether this is something that can benefit you long term. If it's something that will benefit you then I'd be saying yes (with the caveat that I would need support.)

By a blanket no you risk looking inflexible. Most jobs work by youvtaking in extra responsibilities, showing you can do it well then getting the corresponding promotion and pay.

badbadhusky Mon 25-Sep-17 13:29:56

This sounds like an ideal opportunity to gain experience for a more senior role - I have given staff "stretch" opportunities like this in the past to help them gain experience for a stronger application/CV when they are ready to move. Your manager has retained line management responsibility for the officer, so they are not offloading. Also as PP says, you need some flexibilty.

To be frank, the "responsibility bean counters" in my organisation are the ones who complain hardest about not being paid enough, not being regraded and do the least to develop their careers or take opportunities to do so that are offered to them. It's very wearing.

Whether you want promotion or not, you are still a member of a team that presumably needs to deliver. You will just come across as lacking team ethos if you are too rigid.

Gorgosparta Tue 26-Sep-17 06:11:40

Its entirely normal in most places, if you either want to work your way up or your manager thinks you are capable enough. To do so.

And actually its a massive help when you do get the role.

If you dont want to take extra stuff on and dont want to progress (nothing at all wrong with this), explain that to your manager. There will be someone else that is also capable and wants to work their way up.

daisychain01 Tue 26-Sep-17 06:22:25

It entirely depends on how you feel in this job and the organisation, do you trust them and have confidence in the way they treat their staff generally?

On one hand, if your LM is trying to help you advance because they see your potential, that's a good thing but I'd want to be getting those clear messages from them.

If they are dumping on you and aren't making their expectations clear, on the basis of this new remit then I would be cautious and have a specific meeting to find out exactly why the change and what are your new targets. Try to get these included in your annual Objectives, so you have some waypoints to measure against. Plus ask for any appropriate
Training.

You don't want them to set you up to fail, even if non intentionally and things sour because they are setting you unrealistic targets you don't have the skills, motivation or past experience to do justice to it.

Horsemad Tue 26-Sep-17 18:58:15

What's wrong with wanting to go to work, do the job and go home again badbadhusky? confused

Not everyone goes to work to be a manager and not everyone is happy to have extra work dumped on them when they quite possibly have enough on their plate already.

badbadhusky Tue 26-Sep-17 19:00:05

Nothing, but being in a team means some give and take.

Horsemad Tue 26-Sep-17 19:47:00

Of course it does, but these days businesses seem to think they can pile the work on to the employee until they fall down like an overloaded donkey.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in