We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

CRB check and reregistered birth cert.

(19 Posts)
Paperdolly Fri 22-Sep-17 17:58:20

My parents re registered me 18 months after I was born as they got married. It is a requirement by law. This certificate has been refused for a CRB check. Does anyone know why when it was good enough to apply for a passport recently? confused

Ilikehappy Fri 22-Sep-17 18:04:54

I was just reading the other day that this is a legal requirement if parents get married. I suggest contacting your register office for advice.

daisychain01 Sat 23-Sep-17 07:56:11

If you have a valid passport (which you mention in your OP) that is a perfectly adequate form of identity for the purposes of employment and doing security checks.

Workywork Sat 23-Sep-17 10:51:54

This sounds weird. DD1 was reregistered as we got married 3 months after she was born but passed her CRB check with no problem. Is it because the interval was 18 months after birth? Can you provide a copy of the first and second registrations?

Paperdolly Sat 23-Sep-17 16:24:55

Can't seem to find first but there are other options. Just seems like the re registered certs are not as valid since 2015.

Thanks for all replies. X

prh47bridge Sat 23-Sep-17 19:44:26

It is DBS rather than CRB.

There are several routes to verifying your identity for a DBS check. The most common is Route 1 - provide 3 documents at least one of which must be from group 1. The acceptable documents for group 1 are passport, driving licence, biometric residence permit, birth certificate and adoption certificate. A birth certificate is only acceptable in group 1 if it was issued within 6 weeks of birth. Any longer and it falls into group 2a. It can still be accepted as one of the three documents but one of the other documents from group 1 must be provided.

GertiesEyebrow Sat 23-Sep-17 22:22:37

Is it that you need the long certificate and you've only got the short one? The short one isn't valid. You can order new ones online.

Noeuf Sun 24-Sep-17 09:32:26

Wait what?

We had ds and got married when he was 18minths old. What have I forgotten to do?

Ilikehappy Sun 24-Sep-17 10:40:14

Noeuf you are supposed to re-register his birth as a child of the marriage. Apparently it is a legal benefit to him in future for example with regard to what he is automatically entitled to inherent.

prh47bridge Sun 24-Sep-17 12:39:17

Whether or not you re-register the birth makes no difference for inheritance purposes or, indeed, anything else. There is no legal benefit to the child for the birth to be re-registered. It is, however, a legal requirement under the Legitimacy Act 1976. If you fail to re-register the birth you can be fined £2. That is not a typo. The fine really is just £2.

Noeuf Sun 24-Sep-17 15:44:48

Oh bum. So I'm about twelve years late...

Noeuf Sun 24-Sep-17 15:45:22

Urgh and what about dd1 who is adopted? Before we married...

thatstoast Sun 24-Sep-17 15:47:11

Sounds like you owe someone £4,noeuf

Noeuf Sun 24-Sep-17 15:50:59

<rummages down back of sofa>

Purplemeddler Thu 28-Sep-17 10:33:31

Did it have retrospective effect does anyone know? I was born in 1972 but my parents didn't marry until 1973.

It hardly matters and am sorry to derail thread but am quite amused at the fact that so many parents have no idea this law exists!

A birth certificate is only acceptable in group 1 if it was issued within 6 weeks of birth. Any longer and it falls into group 2a

So if you lose your original birth certificate and order a new one, and you don't drive or have a passport, you are essentially stuffed when it comes to doing DBS checks?

prh47bridge Thu 28-Sep-17 19:35:37

The 1976 Act replaced a 1957 Act which also required parents to re-register the birth if they married.

No, you aren't stuffed for DBS checks in the situation you describe. You wouldn't have any Group 1 documents. Your replacement birth certificate would fall into Group 2a. You would need to come up with two further documents from Groups 2a and 2b. The organisation requesting the DBS check would have to use an external ID validation service to check your application. So it is still possible but it involves a bit more expense for the employer.

iseenodust Sat 30-Sep-17 17:33:57

Purple You're not stuffed yet would be my perception. We were having a right problem with a lady in the scenario you describe recently as the system just bounced her first time round. It was deeply annoying as she had previously worked in childcare and for family reasons also been security vetted. A colleague spoke to someone at the DBS service and they said passport / driving licence is key. So while as PRH says at the moment it is just more hassle my guess would be that it will soon become an obstacle.

RebootYourEngine Sat 30-Sep-17 17:43:02

I never re registered ds when my exh & i got married. We are now divorced so its probably too late.

Noeuf Sat 30-Sep-17 18:04:53

Reboot that made me laugh. I shall suggest it to dh as a solution.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now