Gender pay gap

(3 Posts)
chickensandbees Wed 20-Sep-17 16:26:17

Is it actually illegal to pay women less than men for doing the same job or if it is within a pay band but the woman gets less than the men is that acceptable? So pay band 40-50k and the men get 45+ and the women 40 is that ok?

OP’s posts: |
KarateKitten Wed 20-Sep-17 16:28:24

I'm not sure but there is surely some element of 'Dave has higher sales/is more productive/has higher team feedback' etc that it can be 'justified' with.

Gorgosparta Wed 20-Sep-17 17:33:42

It is illegal but difdicult to prove and sex/gender isnt the only thing to take into consideration.

They would need to have justification to pay the men, as individuals more. Good ones too.

So if there is 3 men and 3 women. The 3 men get 45k and the 3 women get 40k. The fact that the women are all paid less could be used to prove they pay women less. But if the company could say 'well its because the men all have degrees/more experience and all the women' then its more difficult.

It could also be down to negotiation. I (female) am paid more than anyone else of my level at my employer. I know this because a similar claim was made and people were talking. I have never said what i earn but they have all shared. The reason i am paid more is because i negotiated more. I refused to go work for them without a certain wage. They gave me that amount. Non of the others even thought about it or attempted it. When I asked if the negotiated they looked at me like I had 2 heads.

So if the company could prove the higher wages was due to negotiation, then its not as clear cut.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in