Unsure what to do

(3 Posts)
Marble2302 Wed 06-Sep-17 14:31:32

I am currently under notice of redundancy. My job will end on 1st April 2018.

I currently work part time my redundancy is £6500 but I will only get it by staying until the end date.

In a panic I started looking for work on a full time basis as DD is old enough to go to afterschool club now. (I am a single parent).

I have been offered a job on a fixed term contract until September 2018. I was initially told prior to interview it would end up being permanent. The interviewer told me I would be covering maternity so they wouldn't give me extensive training. The salary is good, it's local and the experience will look great on my CV.

On the other hand I am thinking if I hang fire the redundancy money will be useful I can pay off some debt, save some and buy a few bits we need for the house.

I am so stuck. The atmosphere in my work is awful. There are 1500 redundancies. A lot of my colleagues are off on sick and the workload sucks. On the flip side there is a load of overtime.

I feel so depressed. I want to cry. Twice in 6 years now this has happened to me.

I just don't know what to do. What if I end up with no job come April? I have never been unemployed and it scares me sad

OP’s posts: |
lionsleepstonight Thu 07-Sep-17 07:48:46

I'd prefer the security of having a job than the 6k, but not sure I'd give that up for maternity leave cover, as you could find yourself without a job in Sept and no pay out. Id keep applying for other things.

PuffinNose Fri 08-Sep-17 11:52:36

Difficult.
You need to do what feels right for you. However a lot can happen between now and April. Are jobs in your area/role difficult to come by?
Personally, and this might not be right for you, I would not give up 6months of wages plus £6000 for a temp job.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in