SMP help!!

(8 Posts)
Samcj02 Tue 22-Aug-17 17:11:48

Hi👋🏻 New here and after some maternity pay advice please. So I work term time only in a preschool, I get paid term time only and some holidays in holiday time. So my situation is my employer has never had to work out maternity before but I'm due on 5/12/17. However this is where it gets tricky they don't know whether I'll be entitled to SMP or not. I work 21 hours per week (sometimes more) and they qualifying weeks for SMP are now during the summer holidays where I only get two weeks holiday pay the rest is unlaid. This is where it gets confusing how do they work out if I'm entitled to SMP or Maternity allowance! Thanks! grin

OP’s posts: |
flowery Tue 22-Aug-17 17:39:40

I'm sure your employer is capable of seeking their own advice if they need it. There is an SMP calculator on the .gov website, they'll need to put in what you earn during the qualifying weeks. If too many of those weeks come at a time when you're not earning, you won't be entitled to SMP as your average pay won't be high enough.

Moanyoldcow Tue 22-Aug-17 20:07:24

Sorry to contradict flowery but that's not quite right. If you aren't paid during the holidays you use the 8 weeks prior to the last 'normal' payday before you are 26 weeks pregnant.

www.babycentre.co.uk/x546098/i-work-in-a-school-given-school-holidays-how-does-my-maternity-leave-work

LIZS Tue 22-Aug-17 20:09:52

Do you get paid only during termtime or is your annual salary spread in 12 payments?

Samcj02 Tue 22-Aug-17 20:28:04

During term time
We have 4 weeks holiday- 1 at xmas 1 at Easter 2 in the summer holidays if that makes sense? ,x

Samcj02 Tue 22-Aug-17 20:29:03

Thanks Moanyoldcow that's what I was lead to believe also. X

Moanyoldcow Tue 22-Aug-17 22:02:24

I think LIZS is asking whether you get paid over 12 months rather just the months you work.

At the school I work at we work out the annual salary for term time employees including paid holiday and divide it over 12 months so you are paid the same every month which makes payroll and budgeting much easier.

You shouldn't be disadvantaged just because your employer pays a different way - if you were paid the way we pay then you'd obviously qualify but still be earning the exact same amount.

Samcj02 Tue 22-Aug-17 22:29:58

Hi thanks for the reply. We are paid term time only with our holiday entitlement split in to 4 weeks so i get paid a week at Easter,a week at xmas and two weeks in the summer holiday! But yes technically the pay is term time only! I wish they'd pay over 12 months it'd be much easier!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in