Care assistant work

(8 Posts)
misspolite Tue 18-Jul-17 11:27:24

Recently been offered a job to work as a care assistant for bupa, very much looking forward to it even though I have no experience in this line of work.(always worked in retail) Would just would like to see if anyone has any experience in going in to care work without any qualifications and how did you find it? TIA 🤗

OP’s posts: |
BibbidiBobbidi Tue 18-Jul-17 11:29:20

I'm a care assistant but in the community. No experience and came out of retail the same as you.

Best thing I ever did. I love my job! Would never go back to retail after this, also, I'm in the process of doing my NVQ which work have paid for which will lead on to other things once I've finished. You will do this too as you have to have this qualification, or be working to wards gaining it to work in care.

Good luck!

Dee03 Tue 18-Jul-17 19:50:25

I'm exactly the same as Bibbi....
been doing this job 2 years now and completed my level 2 Nvq last Autumn....

Love my job....it has its moments like all jobs but on the whole it's great....only downside for me is we don't get weekly rotas, tend to be daily shock

Babyblues14 Tue 18-Jul-17 19:55:55

Great career to get into, similar experience again, worked in retail, left to go into care. Been working for the same company for three years and wouldn't change a thing. Absolutely love my job grin
Completed NVQ and was hoping to start the next level but I'm currently pregnant. Will complete it once I go back.
The job isn't for everyone but you will know instantly if it is something that you want to do x

misspolite Wed 19-Jul-17 15:04:20

Thank you for your replies, makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who's going into care with no experience. I am very excited, I have my week induction coming up which is classroom based 9-5 each day for the week, and I need to bring pen and paper, Wonder what this will involve 🤔 Feel like I'm going back to school 🤣

OP’s posts: |
KindleBueno Wed 19-Jul-17 20:19:53

I used to manage domiciliary care. Basic training will probably cover:

Manual handling
Infection control
Food hygiene
Personal care including continence care
First Aid
POVCA

You'll be fine. It can be a challenging job but if you remember it's a vulnerable, dependant person you're dealing with even if some can be a pain in the arse be kind and follow the rules you won't go far wrong.

unwantedwoman Wed 19-Jul-17 20:38:35

It can be very challenging but I've been doing it 10 years now (I'm 27) and plan to stay in the care industry till I retire.

JaneEyre70 Wed 19-Jul-17 21:27:25

I went into it with no experience at all, and genuinely loved the job. I did find the first encounters with incontinence a challenge, but you know you're there to make that person feel comfortable again and it's something you very quickly adapt to. The sluice used to need quite a cast iron stomach at times too!! It's a draining tiring job, sometimes thankless but also one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in