Job interview advice (final two candidates!)

(7 Posts)
mozboz123 Fri 14-Jul-17 15:25:39

Hi Everyone,

So I'm up for a job that I'm so keen to get and am down to the final two candidates.
However, I was told that they will contact me with their decision but that date passed over a week ago, and I'm still waiting!

I sent them a polite email aasking if they had any update on the decision about 3 days ago (during working hours) but they appear to have ignored it and not replied.

Everyone is telling me I should call them to find out the decision because I noticed today that they removed the online posting for this job from their website which was active through all three of my interviewing stages.
I'm not too sure on professional etiquette, this will be my first post uni professional position.

Any help and advice would be massively appreciated!!

OP’s posts: |
BlackAmericanoNoSugar Fri 14-Jul-17 15:30:30

IME this usually means that they have offered the job to the other candidate and they're waiting to hear back. You might still get the job if the other candidate turns it down. They won't let you know either way until they hear back from the other candidate though, and if he/she is delaying or possibly waiting to hear back about another job it might take a while.

In the meantime the safest option is to assume you didn't get it and keep applying for other jobs.

Moanyoldcow Fri 14-Jul-17 15:53:50

Sorry, but in my experience this is usually when they are either waiting for the other candidate to accept or if they are conducting further assessments because they can't decide.

This actually happened to me in my current role.

mozboz123 Fri 14-Jul-17 16:00:31

Thanks for you're responses! This was my thinking also, but was a bit miffed that they didn't reply to my email, even to say there had been a delay or something similar.

Moanyoldcow do you remember roughly how long it took you to find out about your role?

TIA

OP’s posts: |
Moanyoldcow Fri 14-Jul-17 16:56:13

Hi! It was about 3 days but basically I was first choice but she had some reservations as I was very nervous at interview.

She asked in again (2 days later) and then the following day I got the job. Took about 2/3 days for official offer and acceptance etc so other candidate would've been waiting around a week I suppose?

I thought she was seeing us both a second time but that's not what happened.

mozboz123 Fri 14-Jul-17 17:15:31

Thanks for responding!

I would really like to think that they will notify me if they've given the job to another person. Its surely unprofessional not to, as I was told I was one of two.

Thing is; I went in on a Wednesday for a shadowing day (final interview stage) and was told they'd have a decision by the end of that day.
I then received an email at 9pm that evening saying there were deliberation between UK and US office and will have a decision by the end of tomorrow (Thursday).

Contact has been very good up to this point but I find it strange that it's all gone so quiet and not even a response to my email?
Is calling them on Monday exceptable?

OP’s posts: |
Moanyoldcow Fri 14-Jul-17 18:19:35

I think if you've not heard on Monday calling is fine. We would always let people know if they were unsuccessful. If they have to liaise with US that could delay things I suppose?

Good luck - it's tough when you really want a job and have to just wait around!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in