What is there in place where you work to recognise and reward good practice?

(18 Posts)
cheeseoverchocolate Tue 11-Jul-17 11:00:19

It is not an employment issue per se but I am not quite sure where else to post. I have asked a similar question in Academics' Corner to elicit answers from academics but I would be interested to hear from people working outside of academia.

Aside from promotion, what is there in place where you work to recognise and reward good practice/good work?

OP’s posts: |
WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Tue 11-Jul-17 11:03:27

We have Employee of the Day and Employee of the Month. The more EotD's you get the more likely you are to be EotM, and if you win that you get £50.

I love it smile

CMOTDibbler Tue 11-Jul-17 11:08:48

We have a bonus system - you can either take cash or products from a catalogue. Value depends on what you are nominated for.

Trouble is, some managers give them very freely, some don't. And it can be a bit of a popularity contest as well (co workers can nominate as well, so there is a bit of tit for tat)

ParadiseCity Tue 11-Jul-17 11:09:56

V simple at my place. Fuck All.

HateSummer Tue 11-Jul-17 11:11:21

A thank you email at a push.

cheeseoverchocolate Tue 11-Jul-17 11:11:53

Thanks! Do you feel it is done fairly? Are the criteria clear and objective?
Does it sometimes deteriorate into boot-licking or back-stabbing from some? Does it give rise to resentment (if always the same people get it and the rewards feel based on popularity rather than merit?)

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Tue 11-Jul-17 11:15:21

cheeseoverchocolate There's no specific criteria; it's just who has done the best that day.

I don't find any boot licking, backstabbing or favouritism going on.

A couple of peoplecomplain they never get it, but that's because they're lazy fuckers.

RockyBird Tue 11-Jul-17 11:17:05

Last place I worked there was a £50 reward, in vouchers, for submitting a suggestion (usually safety related) to improve working practices.

cheeseoverchocolate Tue 11-Jul-17 11:18:20

WhatToDo, thank you. May I ask whether you work in the private sector?

I can see from other posters my department is not alone in not recognising good work...

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Tue 11-Jul-17 11:19:14

WhatToDo, thank you. May I ask whether you work in the private sector?

I do. I work in fast food.

iklboo Tue 11-Jul-17 11:19:53

Someone (manager, colleagues) nominate you for an award - usually for going above & beyond in your job, doing a really good project etc. Vouchers range from £25 - £100 at senior managers' discretion. Rarer than hens' teeth though.

elQuintoConyo Tue 11-Jul-17 11:24:47

"That's great. Well done."

And bugger all else.

Since I left, standards have slumped. That makes me happier than £50 would.

m4rdybum Wed 12-Jul-17 15:10:02

Nothing.

PaintingOwls Wed 12-Jul-17 15:11:50

An ad-hoc bonus of up to £300 a month. In practice this is given to junior staff a few times a year.

2ndSopranos Thu 13-Jul-17 09:21:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EBearhug Fri 14-Jul-17 13:09:19

Our bonuses and payrise's are meant to be performance-related. Also, there's a rewards scheme where you can send eCards to say thanks to a colleague who has gone beyond the necessary, and there are also cash sums you can nominate people for, but that has to be signed off by higher management and comes out of a central pot, so it may or may not get paid out. I have received one before, but the people I've nominated don't seem to have, so I guess I don't have enough influence, or others did better. Don't know. Plus we also have company awards, which very few people get - it tends to be for completing very high profile, high revenue projects, and gets handed out in an all-hands once or twice a year when the top bods from the USA are over.

Is it fair? Well, some roles are much more likely to interact with others directly, and I think they're more likely to get nominated. Also, some managers and colleagues are far more likely to show appreciation than others. Some are complete gits. Anyone can nominate anyone else, so it's fair in that sense, but that doesn't mean it happens - just as some people are more likely to just say thank you to others when they work together.

(Tech company.)

EBearhug Fri 14-Jul-17 13:10:06

(My autocorrect isn't getting any reward for adding errant apostrophes. )

iseenodust Tue 18-Jul-17 19:03:38

Absolutely nothing. We have a performance management scheme but it is not linked to anything, which is good thing as apparently as a /pt worker you cannot be graded higher than a 3 (scale 1-5).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in