Talk

Advanced search

Line manager and appraisal

(2 Posts)
NinahH Fri 07-Jul-17 07:22:02

I started a new job a couple of months ago and am on probation. Feedback from overall manager has been positive. Recently my immediate line manager returned from long term sick leave and I find her quite difficult to deal with. My mid appraisal review is coming up and the original manager said she would do it but line manager has now taken it over. Original manager said i could still go to her directly and she would continue my reviews if I preferred - but am wondering if this would be awkward. The issues aren't major, mainly that original manager allows a great deal more autonomy and professional judgement, and line manager likes me to check everything with her and expects very little of me. It's not a huge issue as the job is short term, with funding running out next year, but I know I'd feel more comfortable being managed by original manager - or would it be better to just stick with it as it might raise all kinds of worse awkwardness?

daisychain01 Fri 07-Jul-17 13:31:08

The only thing that reads uncomfortably in your post is that you are meant to be reporting to someone, but their manager is stepping in between you, which could create issues of reporting lines. The nice manager is effectively stepping on the toes of their direct report.

I would definitely ask them to clarify who you are accountable to, before deciding whether to rock the boat.

If you really can't work with the manager you don't like, then you will need to decide if you want to take further action or whether to go with the flow, given the relatively short term nature of the job.

Difficult to advise when it doesn't sound like a showstopper, just a different management styles.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: