Annual incremental pay increases

(20 Posts)
indiestarr665 Wed 05-Jul-17 14:02:43

We've all heard the debates about the public sector and the freeze on annual pay increases. What I'm interested to find out is whether anyone is still awarded annual incremental pay increases in the private sector? At my company everyone has to negotiate their own pay rises individually, and these are generally only awarded every few years, if at all. Is this a common experience, or are there companies that still award pay rises at the end of each year, be they just an increment to keep in line with inflation?

OP’s posts: |
BaronessEllaSaturday Wed 05-Jul-17 14:10:19

There are companies who still give inflation related annual pay increases .

Northumberlandlass Wed 05-Jul-17 14:14:24

I get a slightly higher than inflation payrise every year - which is 'basic' - this year is 3.10% and announced just prior to Payrise / Bonus letters are sent out. I count myself very lucky!

Eve Wed 05-Jul-17 14:16:05

work for a global multi national - no annual inflation related pay rises

Pay rise is performance based and for last few years, top performers have got 1% ( about 25% of workforce in UK) .

BeyondThePage Wed 05-Jul-17 14:19:45

I work on minimum wage, so whatever the government sets... which has - luckily - gone up 4% this year

EBearhug Wed 05-Jul-17 19:16:27

Pay rise is performance based

This. Company performance, department performance, and individual performance.

It does happen on an annual cycle though, unless there are specific special circumstances to make it happen more frequently (e.g. promotion.)

topcat2014 Wed 05-Jul-17 19:19:01

I work for an owner managed business - and we do have pay rises, assuming the company does well.

2016 was not particularly busy, so minimal increase for key staff (some of whom were the lowest paid).

2017 shaping up to be a better year.

Biggreygoose Wed 05-Jul-17 19:24:04

All based on company performance usually. Good year this year - 3%.

I work in a very recession susceptible industry, between 2008 and 2015 I got no annual increase, my only payrises were due to promotions and even then pretty shit.

I did well by changing companies twice in that time period as well.

edwinbear Wed 05-Jul-17 21:46:10

I left a global bank last year. I'd not had any type of pay rise in 7 years. I'd have been really happy with a 1% pay rise!

indiestarr665 Thu 06-Jul-17 17:06:56

So it seems broadly (from this very very small sample of responses) as if those who don't have automatic annual rises have some kind of performance related pay scheme or some other way to obtain more income - like a bonus scheme perhaps. Is that fair to say?

OP’s posts: |
PossumInAPearTree Thu 06-Jul-17 17:11:05

Dh works for a small private form. Well two different ones in last decade actually. He's always had an above inflation pay rise and normally an annual bonus as well.

JustMumNowNotMe Thu 06-Jul-17 17:12:40

Civil servants receive incremental pay rises each new tax year, but only until they reach the top of their pay band. No actual pay rise in many years though so not actuallyany better off for it. My take home pay now is only £220 a month more than it was 7 years ago

nancy75 Thu 06-Jul-17 17:18:20

I work for a Privately owned small business I haven't had a pay rise in 7 years, I feel more unappreciated every year!

Jayfee Thu 06-Jul-17 17:23:45

what i hate about annual percentage rises is that the lower paid get a much lower rise which continues to widen the gap between higher and lower paid. give basic rate nurses 2 percent and managers zero for a few years imo!

RandomMess Thu 06-Jul-17 17:24:33

Former civil servant here, there was performance related pay award with guided distribution where I was which meant 25% got no pay award, the rest up to 1% . Work in higher education we get increments for first 5 years regardless...

Biggreygoose Thu 06-Jul-17 20:17:55

I did, but most of the time bonus' are paid out of profits over and above target profit%. If you hit the target % then generally it goes up the next year.

Just makes it a tiny bit harder to get a bonus..

Chewbecca Sat 08-Jul-17 21:49:18

I work for a huge global bank.

There is an annual pay review and a 'pot' to be shared out. The size of the pot depends on the bank's and the department's performance. Distribution of the pot is not even, it depends on performance and current pay level. I'm one of the highest paid for my grade and therefore despite having (officially) performed strongly, I have not had a pay rise for the last 3 reviews. Feeling rather insulted now actually and am looking internally for another position. We also have a bonus pot that is purely distributed on performance & I've received a decent share of & am thankful but the base pay is more important really.

Lilybo7 Tue 11-Jul-17 15:58:03

I work for an investment bank and have had one very small payrise in 7 years...

m4rdybum Wed 12-Jul-17 15:08:47

My DH gets an annual pay rise in line with inflation.

I haven't had a pay rise in nearly 2.5 years, and for a fact, earn around £2,500 less than the average salary for my job in my area. Management don't actively pursue doing appraisals, and we have to chase them up ourselves - at my last appraisal, I was told not to ask for a pay rise (as was everyone else).

I work for an SME, full time.

Tanfastic Mon 31-Jul-17 20:10:56

I work for a small firm of solicitors.

We used to get annual
Wage rises but all that stopped about ten years ago when there was a shuffle about in management.

Until this year I'd not had a wage rise in 9 years,

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in