Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy discrimination?

(12 Posts)
Belle1616 Tue 27-Jun-17 16:15:21

Hi Everyone.

A little advice needed.

I've been working at my company for 1.6 years now. My initial contract was I year but it quickly got renewed ( thye forgot it was going to run out..) Anyway when it was renewed my temp boss ( normal boss on mat leave)was a bit embarrassed and said he could only get 6 months, due to the end of the fiscal year. But come June another renewal wouldn't be a problem.

Then I fell pregnant. I told them, and a bit later I talked to temp boss and said, I wanted to come back after 9 months, and that ideally I'd like to got on ML (maternity leave) in August ( I'm due 18th) but there was the issue that my contract ran out in June.

I then had a meeting with normal boss, and temp boss they told me they were getting rid of my position ( I'm office manager and run reception) due to 'restructuring purposes' and that my tasks were being absorbed into the company. But they would offer to renew my contract another month so I finish July 19th.. ( which in itself I found odd if they don't need me, why the extra month?)

In-between that a major merger was announced. so our office is doubling in size and we have 25 extra employees moving here.

Then today I got an email basically saying that we aren't replacing you, but there is someone coming over from our other office to learn your job and that I will have to train them.

They way they have done everything seems very sneaky and the wording etc just seems to cover their backs.

Do I have a case here?

I have phoned ACAS and they advised me that I have to speak to my employer about my grievances first, which will make things a tad awkward. anyone else been in this situation before?

flowery Tue 27-Jun-17 18:45:07

Do you have reason to believe they would have extended your contract further if you had not told them you were pregnant? Why was it a fixed term contract instead of a permanent contract in the first place?

user1495915742 Tue 27-Jun-17 20:22:29

I don't think so. A fixed term contract is just that. There is no reason for them to renew if they don't want to. Telling porkies to keep the incumbent there as required is fairly common with FTCs.

flowery Wed 28-Jun-17 08:26:15

"There is no reason for them to renew if they don't want to."

Depends why they're not renewing! If the post is still there and the reason they are not renewing with the current incumbent is her pregnancy, then that's unlawful discrimination.

troodiedoo Wed 28-Jun-17 08:32:43

In theory you have a case, but like you say they cover their own backs very well. Good luck if you do raise a grievance. Citizens advice might be some help?

user1495915742 Wed 28-Jun-17 10:40:39

Well, I guess it depends on whether the 'new person' really is from the other office or a new temp they have drafted in and' is saying'they are from the other office when in fact they are not.

I would be asking a lot of questions about this new person. It's also amazing what you can find out about people online via Google, LinkedIn, etc.

flowery Wed 28-Jun-17 11:24:43

Doesn't depend on that at all. What it depends on is whether the decision not to renew was related to the OPs pregnancy or not.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 28-Jun-17 11:30:02

What flowery said.

Honestly it's so depressing that people just accept discrimation without question. The simple question to ask is "If the op wasn't pregnant would her contract have been renewed?". If the answer is "yes" then it's direct maternity related discrimination and that's unlawful.

Op, raising a grievance is the process. It shouldn't be any more awkward than being pushed out for being pregnant.

What do you have in writing from your employer? That won't determine your case but could strengthen it.

Belle1616 Wed 28-Jun-17 11:56:34

Well I have emails about the new person, about them extending for a month, etc, Also a few emails around the last extension, as asked to speak to boss about why it wasn't renewed for 1 year at least ( as was thinking about getting a mortgage at the time), we spoke in person about that. He said he tried but due to end of fiscal year etc that they could only do 6 months, but when the new year starts another renewal would not be a problem.

well it feels a bit difficult, just because they are being so careful about covering themselves... we are a small office,hence worrying about the awkwardness. Was thinking about waiting until the new person is here and then quizzing them a bit to see what they did before and what job exactly they will be doing here. I've never had a problem at work before, no disciplinary or performance issues.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 28-Jun-17 12:00:56

Might be worth giving Maternity Action a call. They have a helpline and will give you a listening ear as well as practical advice.

Luckily many women have no experience of discrimination at work. Sadly too many experience it when they get pregnant.

Remember being discriminated against is not your fault unlike a performance or disciplinary issue.

MaverickSnoopy Wed 28-Jun-17 13:13:31

Do you know the name of the person who is coming? I would be looking them up in the internal systems to see whether what they say makes sense about it being absorbed. Also perhaps a quick google to see whether your job has been advertised....

I would write everything down in bullet point timeline so that you can keep your facts straight. I would definitely query it with them all "for clarification".

Belle1616 Wed 28-Jun-17 14:35:43

MA is always busy. Am getting advice from pregnantthenscrewed.com tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: