Talk

Advanced search

Freelance notice to leave

(7 Posts)
AyeWhySwim Mon 26-Jun-17 21:21:21

Can anyone advise, please?
I'm providing services on a freelance/self employed basis in a small business but have been informed at fairly short notice that my work will no longer be required in a month's time. It had previously been implied that the arrangement was to be ongoing.

I have previously been happy in this role but this is rapidly changing and I'm now keen to leave - do I need to work until the end of this period? I don't have a written contract. It has all been done by verbal agreement. What is generally the length of notice given in this kind of situation? Since I'm self employed can I just decide to move on giving, say, a week's notice out of courtesy? Or do I need to agree something more formal with the directors? Considering they've never provided me with any formal agreement or contract?

TheABC Mon 26-Jun-17 21:26:49

If there is no contract, there is nothing to stop you leaving tomorrow. However, if you have outstanding invoices or want to use them for references/case studies, agreeing on a mutual date will be more professional and clearer for everyone concerned.

AyeWhySwim Mon 26-Jun-17 21:32:15

Thanks for your response.
I had verbally agreed to work until the end of July but my feelings about this have changed due to the change in circumstances regarding them ending our agreement. I think what I feel is that I want to be in control of things plus I feel unhappy and sometimes unsafe in the working environment. Does my previous verbal agreement over working days stand as a verbal contract or am I entitled to change or negotiating a change over this?

user1495915742 Mon 26-Jun-17 21:40:26

No, not at all, if they told you not to come in tomorrow they would be quite within their rights. The same applies to you.

I would approach by saying you have another opportunity or have the opportunity to go on holiday and would like to leave earlier than end of July. See what they say. It could be they are happy for you to go sooner.

However annoyed you feel, try to stay professional and leave on good terms.

AyeWhySwim Mon 26-Jun-17 22:01:36

Thanks for the advice.
I'm thinking of following an opportunity that may lead to future employment and agree with remaining professional and on good terms. I will test the water with this as suggested - where do you think I stand if they aren't supportive of this?

user1495915742 Mon 26-Jun-17 22:23:57

You can leave tomorrow if you want. It just depends on how important it is to maintain a relationship with them. Only you can decide.

AyeWhySwim Mon 26-Jun-17 22:25:44

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now