AIBU to consider paying for...

(4 Posts)
minerva85 Sat 24-Jun-17 18:43:40

Someone to professionally write my CV. This is probably in the wrong place, but I couldn't quite find the right one. Just that really... does anyone have any exp. of it? Is it worth the money (approx. £250, depending on where you go)? I think I'm considering it because of the fear that everyone I'm up against has had it done and mine just doesn't match up. Price would include a LinkedIn profile, cover letter template etc. Any advice or experiences welcome!

OP’s posts: |
minerva85 Sat 24-Jun-17 22:02:10

Bump... anyone?!

OP’s posts: |
MollyHuaCha Sat 24-Jun-17 22:17:49

Sounds like a waste of money. Please just search for CV template online and make your own!

EBearhug Mon 26-Jun-17 01:51:35

I don't think it's worth it. You have to do most of the work anyway, like gathering dates, job details, qualifications and so on. There are plenty of templates available online, whichever sort of CV you want (time-based, functional, etc,) and also info about how to get the most out of your LinkedIn profile. Then ask some friends to read it over for you.

Cover letters should be tailored to each job and its spec anyway, so I definitely wouldn't pay for a template I could find free online, as it will always need editing anyway. And these days, you should tweak your CV according to the specifics of each job application, too.

If I had £250 to spend on job-related things, I'd go for careers counselling, which may well cover how to present yourself on your CV and so on. Or a good interview outfit.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in