Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I am terrible at interviews

(9 Posts)
Smurf123 Tue 20-Jun-17 22:16:35

I am a teacher and I know I am good at what I do. Any school I have had the opportunity to work in longer term had told me they don't want to lose me. In my part of the world permanent teaching jobs are difficult to come by. Most have someone subbing in them for a year before the past is then advertised..
I've just come back from a year tabbing abroad and I've been subbing in one school since October. They have told me I am their number one sub and that they would like to have me on every day of they can. But they don't have any jobs going atm especially with a serious lack in finding.
I've had a few interviews this year and I know I panick. I have answers planned but I go in and my mind just goes blank.. I ramble and leave out half the stuff I want to say.
Had another interview tonight and as I haven't had a phone call I know I haven't got it. On paper I know I was an excellent candidate but how do I get over my fear of interviews to be able to get a post to show new people that? I have 3 more interviews in the next week... I really would love more than anything to be appending my summer planning lessons and resources for my own class!!!

AlternativeTentacle Wed 21-Jun-17 20:21:31

Firstly, know the actual job role and needs off by heart and make notes on when you have demonstrated the particular skills they require.

At the end, ask these questions:
'What are the qualities that you are looking for in the person to do this job?' This gives them a chance to go through what else they are looking for and you can respond positively to all their needs/requirements.
then ask 'Is there anything else you want to know about me' so they can just get more info that might be on their minds and it can sway the decision up a few notches.

then say 'this is exactly the sort of role I am looking for, what are the next steps' so that they can think through the next steps and hopefully visualise you in the job!

Good luck. Don't waffle. Keep to the question they have asked and just tell them when you have demonstrated the things they have asked you. No more.

Smurf123 Thu 22-Jun-17 11:33:49

Thanks.. I'm currently sat nervously waiting in the car outside before I go in for yet another interview.. I'll try put some of these tips.
I really do much know the role and spec it's just that when I go in I tend to get really flustered on the spoke and forget all the things I know I can do and do do very well. Sometimes I just can't find the words to express what I want to say

maggiethemagpie Thu 22-Jun-17 18:17:13

Have you practiced answering questions out loud? I am applying for jobs at the moment and for me, an interview is a performance and it's all about the practice. I have a number of 'stories' which relate to key acheivements in my role and I practice telling them out loud. I also think of every possible thing I could be asked and write it in a book. I go by the acronym PPPPPPP (perfect planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance).

I have also read some of John Lees books on interviewing, they are really good. You can find them on amazon.

scaryclown Thu 22-Jun-17 18:20:47

My tip is to treat an interview like a meeting, your role in the meeting is to help them understand that you are a good teacher patiently and kindly.. With examples... Show them your reports and comments and just talk them through it, and why you think people like you, and share some of your teaching tricks.

scaryclown Thu 22-Jun-17 18:25:05

Also, when you reflect afterwards, and think of better examples, just write in, apologise that you are unused to interviews (leaving an unspoken idea that you usually get recommended or rehired), feel you may have undersold yourself and give a couple if simple good examples. You won't lose, but you might gain smile

Mamia15 Thu 22-Jun-17 18:31:24

Google the STAR technique for interview..

MrsDoylesTeabags Thu 22-Jun-17 18:45:58

For me prearation is key
Go onto the Reed website it has lots of tips and also typical interview questions, practice stock answers and even write them down and if you need to, for example how you overcame a bad experience, What are your positivess and negatives etc, for negatives always think of something you can turn into a positive.
Research your employer beforehand they love it if you are knowledgable about them, know the route and what you will be wearing. One less thing to worry about!
At the end of the interview ask when they will be making a descision and what the next step is and at cheesy as it sounds if you really want the job then tell them!!
Good luck

MrsDoylesTeabags Thu 22-Jun-17 18:48:57

Oh and if you're really keen on the role follow it up with an email to thank them for their time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now