Where do i stand on this...

(25 Posts)
shockofthepops Mon 19-Jun-17 18:03:05

Recruited for a new position, essential criteria stated needed fill clean drivers license.
Interviewed and offered job to candidate who started today. Just found out he doesn't have a license.
Obviously I should have checked this at interview and I'm kicking myself now.
What can happen from here? Can I revoke his offer/ contract?

OP’s posts: |
insancerre Mon 19-Jun-17 18:05:15

Yes, I assume you published the criteria in the advert?
How is he going to do the job without a licence?

KindleBueno Mon 19-Jun-17 18:10:24

If it's in the essential criteria then you can withdraw the job.

shockofthepops Mon 19-Jun-17 18:10:43

Yes, was clearly stated on job ad but I feel it was also up to me to double check this.
Crap. It's mainly Office based but there will definitely be times that he needs to drive somewhere

Malfoyy Mon 19-Jun-17 18:12:11

Revoke it or add the proviso that he learns to drive straight away and if he says no then heave ho.

LIZS Mon 19-Jun-17 18:12:46

Does he have any intention of learning. With less than 2 years service you can dismiss, after all it calls his integrity into question if he implied that he could drive. Was he asked the question at interview?

shockofthepops Mon 19-Jun-17 18:18:12

No I never even mentioned it at interview... Stupidity assumed you wouldn't apply if you didn't meet the criteria. He didn't address all selection criteria on his application, only CV and cover letter (not essential where I work).
We could manage with him being Office based but it would mean more pressure on the rest of team.
It's only a 12 month contract and he has no plans to learn

flowery Mon 19-Jun-17 20:05:43

It's not a case of revoking the offer- he's already started work. But you can certainly dismiss him.

Do you have other good candidates to fill the position?

shockofthepops Mon 19-Jun-17 23:49:12

Flowery no this is the worst thing , no other good candidates we would be back to square 1 and need someone in the role asap.
I'm thinking could we make do with him just to have someone in the role , but on the other hand I feel like he's really deceived me and I'm rethinking my opinions of him

insancerre Tue 20-Jun-17 07:10:38

Can the driving not be shared out amongst the members of staff who can drive?
So really the driving is desirable rather than essential?

peukpokicuzo Tue 20-Jun-17 08:19:26

If there were no other good candidates then the chances are that if you had realised this lack before making the offer, you would have offered it to him anyway. Someone in post for 12 months meeting 90% of the criteria is better than a theoretical person who meets 100% of the criteria but might not be found and appointed for another 3 months so will only actually fulfil 75% of your needs.

Can he do the travel by public transport? If he gets up earlier?

DisappearingFish Tue 20-Jun-17 08:21:20

Hang onto him until you re-recruit. And check everything else about his CV and qualifications.

DeliciouslyHella Tue 20-Jun-17 08:33:47

I'm somewhat aghast that this wasn't checked at any point.

Yes, you have the right to dismiss him - but really, if it was that essential a criteria, you should have checked it before appointing him. You have chosen to appoint someone who doesn't meet all of the essential criteria. This is not his fault - people often apply for jobs they do not quite fit all of the criteria for.

VelvetSpoon Tue 20-Jun-17 08:39:31

I don't think you can blame him for applying. It's not like it's a travelling sales rep or multi drop delivery job where driving is clearly essential. He chanced his arm and someone at your end should have checked, probably at application stage before he came for interview.

However as you say he is the best candidate for the job, could he not do the travel that is required by public transport?

HundredMilesAnHour Tue 20-Jun-17 09:17:34

Not asking him if he had a full driving licence at interview was a real f*ck-up.

In my former job, we had to ask people if they 1) had the right to work in the UK and 2) were prepared to work away from home during the week. This would be covered repeatedly at every interview stage (a bit annoying but occasionally it had been forgotten by a previous interviewer or our inhouse recruiters). If something is so essential to the job, you need to check it.

But, hey mistakes happen. So the question is....would you have hired him if you'd known he didn't have a driving licence? If the answer is no, you need to get rid of him (since he's also stated that he has no intention of learning). If the answer is yes, you have to find a way of making it work without impacting too badly on everyone else.

I think he was a muppet applying for a job that stated a full driving licence was essential but since he was never asked about it, he got away with it.

JeffVadersMum Tue 20-Jun-17 09:20:42

No legal advice, but I think you need to think of (existing) staff morale. I would be pretty miffed if I had to 'pull up the slack' because someone hired to do the same job as me didn't have enough skills to do so.

For example I was working for a company where of you had a company car, you got less fuel allowance. One manager had a lease type car with restricted mileage and therefore was allowed to hire cars (against company regulations) I don't know if this gave him a real (or just perceived) advantage - cash wise as you just would fill car up on return. It definitely felt like he was 'getting away with' something though

user1495915742 Tue 20-Jun-17 09:29:01

Bit harsh to say you feel he deceived you.

Maybe he didn't look at the person spec properly in the same way you didn't check he could drive/had a licence.

MrsPeacockDidIt Tue 20-Jun-17 12:51:39

If you need someone in post ASAP then maybe the rest of the team won't mind picking up the driving slack if it means that they have an extra person for the office based role.

ChessieFL Wed 21-Jun-17 17:42:43

Is the actual driving essential, or does he just need to be able to get himself to another base? Isn't it then up to him to make sure he can do that, either by public transport or getting a lift or taxi.

OllyBJolly Thu 22-Jun-17 09:05:14

I'd let him go. If the requirement for a licence is on the advert and he doesn't have it then effectively he has got the job fraudulently. Yes people exaggerate skills etc but a driving licence is pretty black and white.

You should have checked - if only to check it was a full, clean licence but that's a learning point for the future.

And I'd let him go sooner rather than later.

alltouchedout Thu 22-Jun-17 09:18:44

Fraudulently? If he'd lied about having a driving license Olly then maybe, but he didn't. And op didn't check.

OnionKnight Thu 22-Jun-17 10:59:12

It's not fraud, he took a chance and the OP didn't check.

Redsippycup Thu 22-Jun-17 11:04:58

Is there any other way he can do the travelling? Public transport / lifts he can arrange?

Buck3t Thu 22-Jun-17 12:29:32

Wow Fraud?
The OP never once said the new recruit said he had a full driver's license. He could have missed this 'essential', and since the OP missed checking it, I can't think they can be too harsh with him.

Maybe there is a way around, I hope he didn't leave another job to come to this one as that is a major f* by all concerned.

I've read so many times on MN that women only apply if they meet all the criteria and men will apply even when they don't. So this is a prime example of that. Lesson learned.

worridmum Sun 25-Jun-17 07:52:09

I hate this a lot of jobs now have must be able to drive /driving licence esstenal when in fact it's not I had a job were they required a driving licence and in 3 years I have not needed to drive at all so ether it's a big standard requirement (aka a template advert or its a sneaky way to weed out disabled people) even my sons pub job required a driving licence and he's just a bar tender in a one off pub not a chain....

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in