Returning to work part time refused

(5 Posts)
BexleyRae Sat 10-Jun-17 13:55:11

Can anyone offer me some advice please. I'm currently on maternity leave and I asked to return to work for 3 days a week, I previously worked full time.
After putting my request in writing and then having a meeting, I got a phone call asking what my plans would be if my partner were to get a full time job (our plan was for us to share childcare) I now think this was inappropriate for this to be queried but stupid me answered.

I've now received a letter refusing my request on the grounds the office will be understaffed for 2 days a week to the detriment of customers service. However there was no maternity cover in place while I have been off and the last member of staff (same department) was allowed to come back for 3 days. But when she left she was replaced with a full time staff member if the makes any difference.
Does anyone have any advice for appealing?

OP’s posts: |
OhTheRoses Sat 10-Jun-17 14:09:51

The phone call was daft but itbseems they have tried a part-time post before and replaced it with full time. To decline a flexible working request the company has to evidence that one of 8 defined business reasons applies (google them). It might be two - so long since I dealt with a request.

It doesn't sound like enough of a reason to decline. On appeal you could ask why they can't recruit another part-timer to fill the gap which would prevent the understaffing.

BexleyRae Sat 10-Jun-17 14:46:53

Ugh. I've just found out that someone is actually covering I assume most of my job, she was doing 4 days a week before I left (different position) and someone else has been employed to do her job (part time but not sure how many days)
I'm just really peed off as my manager made lots of positive sounds when I spoke with her about part time. It's just reflective of what I already knew about the workplace- if your face fits then you are looked after sad

RainbowsAndUnicorn Sat 10-Jun-17 14:49:57

You only have the right to ask for flexible working, not the automatic right to it. Job shares don't always work, cost more as two employees vs one etc which is a viable reason for declining the application.

To appeal, you need to show how it will benefit the business, not you, to reduce your hours.

BexleyRae Sat 10-Jun-17 18:33:40

I understand what you are saying Rainbows but it's disheartening when my manager seemed so positive regarding my returning part time. I've even made it clear I'm not expecting to do any part of my previous role in case they have it covered already. I just can't get my head around where the two other part timers will fit in if I'm full time
But then again it's not my place to consider other people's roles. sad

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in