Would I be committing career suicide?

(13 Posts)
HannahWayes Thu 08-Jun-17 15:17:37

Becoming a SAHM. Just until DS has gone to school. For a more accurate picture, I'll briefly explain my career history.

Junior PA as of 2014. Upped it to PA for a dentist within the same company, within the year.

Left there in November. Started my new role as a Medical Secretary (with PA duties), this April. Have been there a few months now.

DS is due in November. Childcare is shockingly expensive. We would actually be better off with me not working and just claiming add ons such as working tax credits to DH's salary etc.

Do I stand a chance of getting a fairly paid job if I become a SAHM for a few years?

What's more, out of interest, could I leave the medical area? Would a non medicine based area accept me? I'm hoping my skills are transferable. I don't really want to stay within the NHS.

Thank you 

OP’s posts: |
HannahWayes Thu 08-Jun-17 21:26:30

Bump

user1495915742 Thu 08-Jun-17 21:44:04

If I were you I would try to stay in the NHS. There are lots of opportunities and lots of opportunities to work part time/flexi/compressed hours. You certainly won't get that in business.

DarkFloodRises Thu 08-Jun-17 21:50:01

Would you actually be better off though, when you allow for things like pension contributions and future possible promotions / pay increases that you would miss out on?

Are you planning to have another child after a couple of years? If so, you might end up being out of the workplace for several years, and yes it's hard to return (in general - I can't comment on your specific role).

Do you have the option of going part time? That can be a good compromise.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Thu 08-Jun-17 22:09:06

Childcare might not be as expensive once your child starts school but he will only be there 9-3ish and 13 weeks holiday, if anything it's harder working then than when they are babies, jobs that fit around those hours are few and far between. That as well as the staying at home can make it hard to go back later.

gentleshouting Fri 09-Jun-17 07:14:50

You just need to ask yourself whether you could be replaced by a younger, cheaper version of you. If yes, then it will harm your career, sadly. Also after a year on mat leave you may want to go back!

user1495915742 Fri 09-Jun-17 07:44:43

Agree to being replaced by the younger cheaper version of you. This is the problem I have had and a real problem in admin.

If I were you, I would be going back to the NHS and manoevring myself into a role where I could train/pick up some professional qualifications so I couldn't be replaced by a bum on a seat. I'm actually just about to do this albeit quite a bit older than you.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 09-Jun-17 19:25:48

It depends.

Where do you live?

What is your pay?

EG. a legal secretary where I live would earn over £25,000 pa and you don't have to have had prior legal experience always.

HannahWayes Sat 10-Jun-17 09:19:49

I'm just turning 20 so does the younger version of me scenario still apply?

I earn £23K as a Medical Secretary. I was earning more as a PA, which I would like to do again but don't know if I'd be accepted elsewhere

user1495915742 Sat 10-Jun-17 09:44:14

No, you need to start worrying about younger versions when you get to your 40s!

The problem with PA work is that you get to a point where you can't progress/up your salary any further. I'm in the SE and the upper limit seems to be £35k but there are very few jobs paying that salary and loads of candidates. Most salaries are £25k to £30k which is what they were 10 years ago.

If you're happy to book hotels, manage diaires, fill the photocopier with paper for the next 20 odd years then stick with it because you'll be doing all those things even if you work for a Chief Executive. If you want a career that you can build on then make a plan to move away from PA work. Remember also, that lots of the decent senior PA jobs require a degree these days so you will be up against a lot of very competent people.

HannahWayes Sat 10-Jun-17 10:57:49

user I'm comfortable with that! I quite enjoy it.

Don't some roles require you to attend and fill in for your boss at meetings? I've done so for my dentist but it may be different within the corporate environment.

25-30K is very comfortable outside of London, especially with a DH matching that salary.

Will I want more one day? I don't know blush

Timmytoo Sat 10-Jun-17 11:46:00

Hi Hannah

The best way to move up in this career is to do social media and marketing courses. As a PA for one of the top oral surgeons in the world and plenty of other experience in different industries including a ten year management career, is this - Do lots of IT and social media and marketing courses. I am a PA now but I work from home, so no photo copiers, I earn big bucks and I have doctors gagging for me because so many people in administrative positions don't have these skills and bosses love it when you can grow their business. We put operating videos up for educational purposes, do mailings, we also offer courses for doctors to do. It's amazing and so fulfilling.

Timmytoo Sat 10-Jun-17 11:49:42

Also always keep up to date with technology as this is a big reason why older people get replaced by younger versions as they don't keep up to date with the latest Instagrams, Twitters etc. PA work when mixed with media is freaking awesome!!! Don't work for stuffy old corporates, find a charismatic, fun and an energetic go-getter to work for and the works literally becomes your oyster!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in