loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sick Notes

(12 Posts)
Hjb2410 Wed 07-Jun-17 17:03:56

Hello

I'm after some advice

I had a tonsillectomy on Friday 2nd June and received a sick note from the hospital dated the 2nd June for two weeks.

On my sick note they haven't stated a return date, it just states two weeks.

I presumed I would return to work on Monday 19th June however I have just had a phone call from work and they expect me back Friday 16th June.

I'm slightly confused; any help would be appreciated

Thanks

out4thecount Wed 07-Jun-17 18:07:16

2 weeks = 14 days, which including the 2nd June would make you due back on the 16th IMO.

Scribblegirl Wed 07-Jun-17 18:08:50

Agree. I'd ask work if I could take the Friday as holiday/unpaid though. Hope you're recovering well.

PleaseGoToSleepPlease Wed 07-Jun-17 18:10:18

Friday 2nd June is day one.

So I agree with your work, and you're due back after 14 days - which is the Friday.

Though I'd take Friday 16 as annual leave and physically return Monday 19 June.

Hjb2410 Wed 07-Jun-17 18:16:59

I do agree with that however the lady I informed about this operation sorted it on my file that the Friday 2nd June was medical leave for the operation and she would cover two weeks with sick uncertified until she received my sick note and that got me to returning to work on Monday 19th June.

However now she has received the sick note she is saying I'm back Friday 16th June.

Just not sure what to do

user1471548375 Wed 07-Jun-17 18:22:57

Go back in on the Friday?

ProfYaffle Wed 07-Jun-17 18:26:02

Why not see how you feel at the time and if you're still feeling unwell ask your GP for a note to cover the extra day. They may do it over the phone without you needing to go in.

PatriciaHolm Wed 07-Jun-17 18:26:27

I would imagine that now she has a written note, she's going to follow that - the original stop-gap offer was to cover you until she got the note, which she has now, which says 2 weeks from Friday June 2.

flowery Wed 07-Jun-17 18:27:15

Trouble is "the lady you informed" isn't the one who wrote the sick note. Your doctor is. I imagine the doctor intended you to go back on the Monday but wasn't clear about that on the sick note. Two weeks starting the Friday finishes on a Thursday.

If you are well enough to go back to work on 16th fine. If not you'll have to either take it as holiday or go back to the doctor for another note.

Hjb2410 Wed 07-Jun-17 18:27:56

I will do smile

Thank you for all your help.

I guess I just feel frustrated that we have agreed one thing and now it's been changed and I also don't see the point me going back for half a day on the Friday when I could use the Friday, sat, Sunday to prep for going back on the Monday.

But will play it by ear and see how it goes smile

flowery Wed 07-Jun-17 18:31:42

But your fitness for work can't be agreed between you and a lady at work! Your employer has to base your attendance and pay on the medical certificate provided. You might have told the lady at work you anticipated being off for two weeks plus the day of the operation, but you've changed that arrangement by only giving her a medical certificate covering you until the 15th. She can't deviate from what she's been given.

Hjb2410 Wed 07-Jun-17 18:38:58

I totally agree that the sick note wasn't clear. However I'm going to play it by ear and see how I am feeling next week.

Thank you all for your advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now