Quitting job after two weeks - terrified

(19 Posts)
ACubed Tue 06-Jun-17 19:25:52

Hi All, I'm after some advice and a bit of moral support. I changed jobs recently and feel I've made a fatal error in judgement, and want to hand in my notice asap. The way the place is run is very poor, and some very dodgy goings on are in place. I feel like a complete idiot for taking the job!
What I wanted to ask is can I not put this on my CV, or is that somehow being very dishonest? There's a three month trial period where you only have to give a week's notice, so I will have just done three weeks total.
Very nervous and feeling foolish, but I need to exit asap.
thanks

OP’s posts: |
daisychain01 Tue 06-Jun-17 19:43:14

If the company is badly run, you would only know that from the inside, once you started working there, so there is nothing to berate yourself about.

Please look after your own best interests and don't even think in terms of honesty regarding your decision to quit and leaving it off your CV. The company wasn't exactly honest with you!

It's such a short amount of time it isn't worth mentioning in the grand scheme, so just forget it and move on.

We've all had those disasters and disappointments, and moved forward to better things. And it's only a job smile

ACubed Tue 06-Jun-17 19:46:38

thank you, you're right!

beekeeper17 Tue 06-Jun-17 19:50:04

I once handed in my notice on my first week as the job was truly awful but I had to work my notice so was there for about 4 weeks in total. I do have it on my CV and it's never caused any issues but I don't see any issue with leaving it off if you'd prefer not to have it on there. It's not like it's going to look like a long period of unemployment which might raise questions.

I wouldn't worry about it, just move on!

ExcuseMyEyebrows Tue 06-Jun-17 19:50:49

I left a job after two weeks because I didn't like it. At my next interview I just said I'd been temping and didn't put it on my cv.

tribpot Tue 06-Jun-17 19:52:31

If it's not working (and it sounds dreadful) far better to get out as soon as possible than to have a dodgy four- or six-month position on your CV that you can't leave off and have to explain.

MrsPeacockDidIt Tue 06-Jun-17 20:47:22

I don't think leaving short term placements off a CV is a bad thing. I temped for a few months once and it's not on my cv.

MrsPeacockDidIt Tue 06-Jun-17 20:49:01

Actually I had an actual job that isn't on my cv as it was awful and I didn't stay long. You can't always tell from an interview what the company will be like sorry it's turned out to be so bad there.

Mermaidinthesea123 Tue 06-Jun-17 20:49:16

i left a job in the first week, I never put it on my CV. The job was shockingly awful. I just said i decided to have a long holiday.

ACubed Tue 06-Jun-17 21:24:30

Thanks for all the replies. I'll leave it off!

Mulledwine1 Wed 07-Jun-17 10:03:23

I had a job for six months in my early career that I don't put on my CV.

You can be quite creative with dates and just say 2013-2015 and then 2015-2017 rather than June 2013 to March 2015 and then May 2015 to June 2017, therefore making it obvious there was a gap.

Babyroobs Wed 07-Jun-17 19:38:15

I am considering leaving my job after 4 months. The management are bonkers, I've never worked anywhere quite like it before.

ACubed Fri 09-Jun-17 13:46:36

Hey are you going to do it? Think I'm going to do it after lunch today. I'm thirty years old and a competent worker, why do situations like this turn me into a gibbering wreck?!

indigox Fri 09-Jun-17 13:48:55

I left a job after 3 weeks in a small, tight knit industry where everyone knows each other - I left it off my CV, it's never been an issue.

WeShouldOpenABar Fri 09-Jun-17 13:48:56

You've no obligation to them just get it over and done with you'll feel better

SuperFlyHigh Fri 09-Jun-17 13:53:24

I did this in my last perm job, was there 2 weeks found out my co-worker in same job temporarily was leaving asap (she was meant to be helping me) and previous person in my role had resigned after 5 weeks. I only stayed as it was Christmas and I got a week or two of paid holiday and I thought it'd be unfair to just leave after that.

I stayed on until early Feb hating it and then had an unfair probation review and resigned and with hindsight I should've left at Christmas!

It really is best to resign asap and get it over with.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 09-Jun-17 13:55:43

Babyroobs unless you need a new job I'd consider leaving sooner rather than later. My ex boss was having psychiatric treatment at a hospital (his appointment letters came to the office and I had to open them), he'd also had hysterical outbursts at his staff and his wife had said "your staff need you more than you need them!).

Floggingmolly Fri 09-Jun-17 13:56:24

What would be the issue with leaving it off your CV? Surely prospective employers don't scrutinise every two week gap? confused
I often took the opportunity to go on holiday when changing jobs...

SuperFlyHigh Fri 09-Jun-17 15:00:36

The only thing I would say about leaving jobs is do you need another job to go to and if you do where etc?

I'm temping now in a similar field and "taking a breather" but as my current job is lower in status than my old jobs I wonder if that's a worry to agencies etc.

But also doing training and happy for now.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in