"Competent"; in Excel?

(20 Posts)
AmmoniaAvenue Thu 01-Jun-17 19:42:11

I'm thinking of applying for an internal vacancy (lateral move to an area I'm really interested in) and one of the requirements is to be 'competent' in Excel. I was just wondering what most people would understand by 'competent'. I use Excel daily in my present role, but not in a very complex way - pivot tables/charts, data organisation and straightforward formulae are all I really do.

Obviously, I could improve my skills - I know there are plenty of online tutorials, but if 'competent' means being able to devise very complex spreadsheets, macros etc. it might be a leap too far to reach that level in a short space of time.

I'd be grateful for any insights.

OP’s posts: |
Asmoto Thu 01-Jun-17 19:42:54

Not sure why there is a semi-colon in my thread title!

Asmoto Thu 01-Jun-17 19:43:28

Aargh, meant to name change but blown it now! Have to hope no one recognises me.

ShouldHaveListenedInBiology Thu 01-Jun-17 19:44:43

I would say that being able to use pivot tables and a few different formulae makes you competent. In my view, macros etc would be advanced use.

PlymouthMaid1 Thu 01-Jun-17 19:45:38

You sound pretty competent.I would apply and if it worries you perhaps ask for clarification if you get an interview.

PossomInAPearTree Thu 01-Jun-17 19:47:24

You sound competent to me.

Advert doesn't say advanced excel skills required which is what I would consider complex stuff to be (advanced). Competent kind of translates as "ok" to me.

You could always get a excel for dummies type book. I've got an ECDL qualification and can't do complicated formulas or macros. But most people would think someone with an ecdl must be competent.

curtainphobic Thu 01-Jun-17 19:48:18

That's more than competent in my opinion. Love a pivot table....

AmmoniaAvenue Thu 01-Jun-17 19:49:05

I probably shouldn't let it put me off. I do have a tendency to talk myself out of applying jobs if there are one or two competencies I feel shaky on even if I can evidence the remaining 80% of them really well.

Damia Thu 01-Jun-17 19:52:58

Advanced usually includes pivots and lookups so I'd say you're more than competent if you're doing some of that already. Depends what kind of other formulas on but if say go for it

Muskey Thu 01-Jun-17 19:53:06

I usually associate advanced excel as being able to do macros. To me you sound like you have intermediate excel skills which sounds what they are looking for good luck op

Reow Thu 01-Jun-17 19:54:41

I would say formulas, IF statement, pivots and vlookups. That's what we'd be after.

Though in my interview I only had to prove filtering...

AmmoniaAvenue Thu 01-Jun-17 19:56:53

Thank you, that's boosted my confidence a bit smile. I suppose if I give a few examples of my Excel use in the application form, the hiring manager will be able to judge whether I meet their required standard when weeding out for the interview shortlist.

Reow Thu 01-Jun-17 19:58:47

What kind of job/company is it?

AmmoniaAvenue Thu 01-Jun-17 20:06:24

It's a relationship management role, and I'm in financial services.

WibbleBoy Thu 01-Jun-17 20:16:53

I'd agree with the trend here. Its not a primary skill for my role; but I regularly use excel for data entry, basic charting and formulae and would class that as competent. Macros and scripting would be advanced.

southeastdweller Thu 01-Jun-17 20:18:25

Seems like you're at intermediate level.

Go for it, and good luck!

Mehfruittea Thu 01-Jun-17 20:30:09

I agree. Intermediate level and defo competent. In the interview they will clarify if it is really important.

AmmoniaAvenue Thu 01-Jun-17 20:48:08

Thank you, I feel really encouraged by your comments. I'm going to spend the weekend drafting my application - I feel very enthusiastic about the role.

FireBright Thu 01-Jun-17 20:50:30

When I applied for my current job it said competent in all Microsoft programmes especially excel and word.
Honestly- the majority of the stuff I do in excel, I have had to teach to the staff (including the business manager) how to do it. They use it more than ever now b cause I've had the patience to show them and not looked down on them for not knowing.
I can't do macros and because I don't use pivot tables often, I struggle with them when I've not done it for a while.
You sound more than competent to me. Good luck OP!

caroldecker Thu 01-Jun-17 21:44:04

Good luck OP and not a go at you, but relationship management roles should not be using excel - there are databases that do the job much better.
Excel is for numbers.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in