Advanced search

Single Mam - impossible to continue working

(36 Posts)
user1496069746 Mon 29-May-17 17:28:04

Good Afternoon Everyone,

This is my first post but I'm desperate for some advice. I have 2 children age 6 and 12. I have no support whatsoever and have a 2 hour commute to work each way and work 30 hours. I'm really struggling for childcare as the childcare provider starts after I need to leave for my shift and ends before I get home, there's no opportunity for me to shorten my hours. I'm in a hell of a mess at every school holidays and I have no idea how I'm going to juggle this half term TOMORROW ....if I resign from my job am I able to claim anything? My only option is to set up my own company I think as I work in a location where jobs are extremely difficult to come by 😩..thank you in advance ....apologies for my panicky post xxx

user1496069746 Mon 29-May-17 17:30:10

*live in a location where jobs are hard to find sorry xx

flowery Mon 29-May-17 17:47:11

What childcare have you been using to date?

Are there really no jobs closer than two hours away?!

Have you considered an au pair or a before-and-after school nanny-type? Sometimes childcare students at the local college can be a good option.

user1496069746 Mon 29-May-17 18:23:21

I live deep into the valley, there is no big business community here, just small shops etc. The area is a deprived area due to the fact there aren't any jobs unless you go to the city. I've been using a after school and holiday club provision....this and the only crèche that collects from our school don't open for long enough ...I'm at a total loss and so stressed sad xx

AgentProvocateur Mon 29-May-17 18:26:10

Could you move nearer your work? It doesn't sound like you'd get another job there easily. You wouldn't be able to claim anything for, I think, 6 months if you resign.

lampshady Mon 29-May-17 18:30:35

If you have no support where you are I'd seriously consider moving. I'm not sure about the rules regarding claiming benefits due to resignation but surely you have extenuating circumstances if there is no one you can safely leave your children with. Has this only come about recently?

Krisgoeco Mon 29-May-17 18:49:41

I feel for you. I was in the same situation, I never made it to work on time by 8 as nursery opened at right on 7:30. On my way back I was constantly praying for no traffic, it was mayhem. At the end I had to leave. But I was lucky enough to find a part time job from 9-2 which suits me perfect. I also set up my own business so I'm getting on with the 2 jobs. I think if you resign, you're not entitled to benefits but I'm not sure about that. Message me if you'd like and I'll try to help you with some ideas.

user1496069746 Mon 29-May-17 18:59:47

Thanks so much. It's difficult to move as my son has a relationship with his dad, the expense and my son has only started comprehensive school recently and I don't really want to unsettle him. I've only been in this job for a few months and took it as things were getting desperate and thought I could manage it. I don't get stressed easily but tonight I'm really panicking as arrangements I'd put in place for the week have fallen through and I just don't know what to do xxx

user1496069746 Mon 29-May-17 19:01:15

Krisgoeco this site is new to me ...can I message from the app? X

JennyHolzersGhost Mon 29-May-17 19:10:34

Can their father not take some responsibility here ?

MastersStudent2017 Mon 29-May-17 19:14:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LillyLollyLandy Mon 29-May-17 19:17:17

Sandy - suggest you start your own thread rather than gate crash this one.

AndNowItIsSeven Mon 29-May-17 19:23:46

Op you wouldn't be able to claim jsa however you would be able to claim approx £140 a week in tax credits and child benefit. Also housing benefit and council tax support , very likely the maximum for two dc in your area.
Do check though that you don't live in a UC area.

user1496069746 Mon 29-May-17 19:25:06

I wish my youngest child's father would but unfortunately he left when I was pregnant and has refused contact since ....I sound like a right miserable mare here....I'm really not honestly lol xx

user1496069746 Mon 29-May-17 19:27:36


Thanks so much for that....that really helps....please can you tell me what is UC?

NameChanger22 Mon 29-May-17 19:27:42

This sounds very stressful. Are there any childminders in your area? Could you work part-time and also set up a small home business? Do you have any friends or family nearby?

I don't know the rules about benefits, but my understanding is that it's difficult to claim if you leave your job, I could be wrong though. Could you stay until they sack you? Sorry, that would probably be stressful, but I think it's what I would do in your circumstances.

daisychain01 Mon 29-May-17 19:33:55

Sandy, its against MN Talk guidelines to post URLs. It's encouraging people to click to a potentially insecure site.

user1496069746 Mon 29-May-17 19:37:47

There are 2 childminders who are full at present. I hate letting people down I really do, but I think my only option is to go sick tomorrow or to resign...I'm more than happy to work a part time job and a home business ....I am very good at crafts and have previously made money this way xx

user1496069746 Mon 29-May-17 19:40:41

Or should I tell my manager that I'm having significant childcare issues tonight for this week and leave the ball in her court xx

JennyHolzersGhost Mon 29-May-17 19:44:46

Either ask to go part time or look to move to near your work. I appreciate your point about the kids' relationship with their father (presumably not all of them from what you've said?) but needs must.

JennyHolzersGhost Mon 29-May-17 19:45:19

Any chance of negotiating flexible working or working from home at all ?

Krisgoeco Mon 29-May-17 19:46:39

I've messaged you hun. Don't resign just yet, take the second option and tell your workplace you're struggling with childcare now and can't work this week. There's not much they can do about it and you'll have a week to think through your options.

memyselfandaye Mon 29-May-17 19:46:54

Are there any childminders near your work?

AndNowItIsSeven Mon 29-May-17 19:51:08

UC is universal credit op.

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Mon 29-May-17 20:09:12

Depending on your job you may be able to put in a flexible working request as Jenny says. More accurately, you can request it for any job (I think?) but your employer could refuse on business grounds. Have a look at the ACAS and websites and search for flexible working.

Speak to your employer first though and see what they say.

flowers OP. People are told to work but if you have no help, a long commute and not a huge amount of childcare it is almost impossible.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: