Talk

Advanced search

Unreasonable pressure from hr?

(11 Posts)
alltheworld Sun 28-May-17 06:49:28

I am due to have major surgery in a couple of weeks. At the time I found Out I needed it, I had a lengthy chat with my line manager about the type of surgery and how it wasn't clear how much time I would need off as I had not been told this, but it could be X to y.
When I got the letter with the date several months ago, I provided it to my line manager and he.
I explained the surgeon would give me a fit note for two weeks and then I would go to see my gp or any fit notes as required.
They are now trying to insist I have a meeting with two of them and my line manager but can't tell me what they need to discuss. When pressed they said it was to do with making sure I had pa cover (I share a pa) I said it would be good to know my inbox was monitored but beyond that, I did not see an issue. I said I couldn't know how soon I would be ready to return to work but I would be happy to discuss that with occ health and get as many fit notes as needed, I said I anticipated being able to wfh or perhaps do shorter days for a while in a phased return to work, but again dependant on my recovery, to be discussed with GP and occupational health.
I explained I had setup handover meetings with my line manager and would try to be available on my mobile in emergencies but that couldn't be guaranteed.
I said if there was any other info needed then to please let me know.
Despite making clear to my line manager that I was happy for my colleagues to know I was having major surgery but not the type, this has clearly not been respected.
I am very anxious about the surgery and am at a loss what more needs to be discussed at this point, I have said I am happy to discuss my return to work once I have had the surgery as at this stage I can't know how it will go.
i don't see why I should have a meeting when I have told hr all I know and have made all work related arrangements in my power. I feel it is intrusive to have a meeting when I have already discussed all the above with h r and my line manager and I don't understand why they are insisting on a pre sick leave meeting as opposed to a return to work meeting which of course I would have no issue with. As they can't tell me what they need to discuss I feel worried.
Any thoughts?

disastrouslee Sun 28-May-17 06:54:08

How long have you worked there?

It sounds like you've done all you can to mitigate your absence. I can't think what they would need to discuss.

rizlett Sun 28-May-17 06:55:46

I would imagine it's fairly standard for HR and Occ Health to become involved - both of whom are there mainly to ensure good management of your situation. You don't need to discuss with them an intricacies of your op.

Have a look at your sickness absence policy - it should explain the level of involvement from all parties.

Are you also saying that you are annoyed that your LM told HR the nature of your operation?

daisychain01 Sun 28-May-17 08:04:48

Do you have any previous absence history in the past 2 years that might be making them extra vigilant of the situation?

alltheworld Sun 28-May-17 21:33:45

Thanks. Been there seven years. Average two days sick leave a year. This year 4 days due to d and v picked up at work from people who don't stay away 48 hours. No issues with hr or occ health being involved on my return but don't understand the insistence on meeting with three people now when I cannot give any further info. Don't mind lm telling hr... But she has told another colleague. Feels like they are making an issue out of something when for my own sake I want to stay low key and keep calm.

CotswoldStrife Sun 28-May-17 21:49:37

OP, you have said that you are anxious about the surgery and don't want to talk about it but I don't think they are planning to grill you on the medical details. HR are more likely to want to be supportive to you in general and to find out what support your LM will need in your absence.

It is difficult when you can't give a more defined timescale for return but you have given them an idea (between x and y) so that's what they will have to work with. You mention OH so I'm thinking it may be a lengthy absence (and you mention a phased return to work). If you do meet with them, mention the LM blabbing to another colleague as that is shocking and unnecessary angry

Best wishes for the procedure and your recovery flowers

alltheworld Mon 29-May-17 05:36:46

But that is precisely the point. They can ask my lm what support she needs in my absence without me being there... There is a culture in my profession of being Available 24 7, arranging our own cover while on vacation etc. I don't want to get dragged in on that conversation... I am going to meet my lm and provide her with a handover note with some suggestion for cover but it is not an hr issue for me.
This Hr manager has form for pretending she wants a friendly chat and then ambushing. I also had bad experience of her when I was pregnant and the inhouse healthy and safety manager said I shouldn't be lifting or pulling things and she went to get an external second opinion!

rizlett Mon 29-May-17 05:47:47

Check your work sickness absence policy (assuming they have one) and see whats stated there - to give you more grounds to refuse to attend the meeting.

Your Lm should not have told anyone else about your personal details - you can complain to HR about that - keep a written record of everything your Lm does and says including dates.

She's the manager - it's down to her to sort out any cover needed - that's what she's paid for.

Sounds a bit of a nightmare op - have you looked at working elsewhere?

alltheworld Mon 29-May-17 06:28:52

I will double check the policy. It is really important to metro be able to focus on my recovery and not worry about work..

peukpokicuzo Mon 29-May-17 06:34:36

Is there someone supportive that you can take with you to this meeting to support you? If you could describe your concerns as per your op, their job would be to look out for ambushes and take the pressure off you if the conversation is being pulled in a direction that is stressful or upsetting.

alltheworld Mon 29-May-17 06:38:19

Yes, I could ask a colleague although I doubt hr would agree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now