Talk

Advanced search

NHS job offer and car crash career history

(12 Posts)
user1495915742 Sat 27-May-17 21:22:58

I was offered a job with the NHS last week. I'm really happy as it's something I've wanted to do for a while and I desperately need some career stability.

The job history on my application was accurate but I only went back about 12 years. In the pre-employment checks I need to give all details of all the jobs I have had and any gaps since leaving school. I am absolutely dreading it as my career is a bit of a car crash. I dropped out of a commercial trainee scheme and I also dropped out of my first degree. I have contracted a lot and started a job a few years ago which only lasted a week (horrid boss shouting at everyone all week).

How do I approach this? Do I just list absolutely everything warts and all including the job that only lasted a week?

WhyNotDuckie Sat 27-May-17 21:28:28

They're not interested in your actual jobs, it's just checking the gaps to see if you would pose a safeguarding risk. Don't worry about it.....they will only rescind the offer if there is anything dodgy, not if you haven't got a great CV. Well done by the way!

B1rdonawire Sat 27-May-17 21:33:30

I'd ignore the one-week job. Otherwise be truthful but not over-detailed, e.g. Date - date: course in X. Date - date: graduate role for Y company (no need to say it was part of longer scheme, no need to say course wasn't completed - it will be inferred from not being listed in your "qualifications" section).

Where necessary, write date-date: career break for personal/family reasons. I have done that in NHS applications and it's been fine, never been questioned. They are looking for things that don't add up, flagging identity fraud, so just be honest and make sure your dates are all accurate.

Well done on your job offer!

user1495915742 Sat 27-May-17 21:46:20

Thanks both, that's a great help. You've put my mind at rest!

I'm pretty embarrassed about my career history but have realised that it's probably down to the jobs I've done just not being aligned with my values.

Yes, I will be honest. Other than volume of jobs, there is nothing dodgy in my history.

I'm really hoping the NHS will be my last employer!!!

ObnoxiousDoggy Sun 28-May-17 10:56:00

I worry about this. been in the nhs for 10yrs. First job was there 4 years , second job was there 3 years , third job 18 months and this job up to now 18 months. I hated the third job and had a lot of time off sick they gave me a reference to get rid but I know I'll never get another one. What do I do if I want to move on but can't get a reference?

user1495915742 Sun 28-May-17 11:44:30

Crikey, my work history is far worse than that Doggy!

I think it would be worth investigating if they would give you a reference. I didn't want to put down one of mine but I did a good job while I was there. It might not be as bad as you think. I think everyone has a problem job every now and again.

lobsterface Sun 28-May-17 11:46:29

Work case scenario they'll just confirm dates doggy

ObnoxiousDoggy Sun 28-May-17 12:20:31

I know she won't give me a reference I tried when I applied for bank work. I think the nhs only looks back three years ?

user1495915742 Sun 28-May-17 12:42:16

That's a bit rubbish.

Are you looking to leave current job? Could you ask someone in HR for advice? I guess the only alternative is to put down a couple of personal references. It looks like you can do this.

Everyone I know has had a problem at some time. Very often it's a case of your face not fitting. Bit impossible to get on with absolutely everyone.

ObnoxiousDoggy Tue 30-May-17 22:30:11

User I'm not thinking about it at the moment but sometime in the future. I'm tempted to either leave the job off or just explain to the new organisation that there was a clash of personality and I can't get a reference. Not sure how that would go down.

daisychain01 Wed 31-May-17 04:59:57

Doggy, I wouldn't use the words "clash of personality". Try to avoid anything that could be interpreted in a way you don't want.

How about "unfortunately things did not work out at organisation x, however here are 2 references from people I worked with successfully, who I'm sure would vouch for my character and performance"

Anyone 'worth their salt' in recruitment will know that things aren't always plain sailing in organisations. C'est la vie.

peukpokicuzo Wed 31-May-17 05:47:54

If your line manager won't give you a reference give the details of the hr department - they will limit their response to confirming the dates of your employment and will confirm if asked that you are not and haven't been subject to disciplinary procedures, or suspected of dishonesty or incompetence, but they won't comment on your performance or skills. However all most reference requests require is this bare minimum anyway - manufacturer organisations have policies that line managers shouldn't state more than this in references anyway because they can be sued if the content of a reference causes someone to lose a job they would otherwise have gained and would have to prove every sentence so it is safest to stick to documented facts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now