Talk

Advanced search

Is it me or is the job market absolutely abysmal at the moment?

(11 Posts)
maggiethemagpie Sun 21-May-17 10:32:22

Maybe it's just me/my field. I am job searching and have never found it so hard, despite having more experience than in the past.
A few years ago I could apply for jobs and at least 50% of the time maybe more I'd get an interview. Now, it seems like I'm applying for
-loads and not hearing anything like as much back. Maybe getting an interview 10-20% of the time. And I'm getting interest back from the poorly paid ones, who haven't advertised the salary so are trying to save a buck. I'm then having to turn down interviews because I don't want to take a pay cut.

My CV is stronger than ever before and I have a solid work history so I'm sure it's not just me. My colleague who has a similar skill set and is also looking is finding it equally tough. Is it the Brexit effect? Are we on the brink of a Brecession?

It has never taken me more than a couple of months from starting looking to getting an offer in the past, but this time I'm stumped!

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Sun 21-May-17 10:35:34

I'm in the care industry and that is booming. What sector are you in

daisychain01 Sun 21-May-17 13:39:07

There is a known skills shortage in the UK. It is also highly area, region, industry and role dependent.

So an area where there is a sparse supply of software developers or project managers with proven track record and credentials you can be snapped up in days.

If in an area where your skills are not in demand because there is a vaste candidate pool to choose from eg 50 CVs received for one vacancy then yes you will struggle unless you have the creme de la creme in qualifications. Thats just to get you through the door. Then you have to be a top performer at interview.

It is bloody hard at the moment. Do you have any rare or differentiated skills or can you acquire some quick? grin

LedaP Sun 21-May-17 13:41:38

Depends on your area.

I work in industry where we have jobs coming out of ears and not enough people applying. I handed my notice in and they gave me an amazing offer to stay because they cant afford to lose anyone ans there are not loads of replacments.

daisychain01 Sun 21-May-17 13:42:53

You also need to consider that niwadays portable skills are of greater interest to re ruiters than just fitting a person into a jelly-mold. They want adaptable almost risk taking people who can slot into a difficult gap in their organisation and reinvent themselves. Thats a tough one but if you have the confidence to jump ship you could find new opportunities. It deoends where you are in your career if you dont mind risking it!

daisychain01 Sun 21-May-17 13:44:49

It may seem like my typing skills are crap but Im on my mobile and its a tiny keyboard!

maggiethemagpie Sun 21-May-17 14:05:57

Maybe I'm just unlucky with my industry at the moment. It's HR. I think it's become an increasingly popular career choice in recent years so there is a glut of experienced candidates at my level. It's not just location specific either as my colleague who works in a different part of the UK to me is finding similar.

Once I get an interview I can talk a good game, it's getting shortlisted that seems to be the problem! And because there is a glut, employers are offering salaries similar to what I was on 5 years ago and I'm not prepared to take a drop in pay so that's limiting my choices even further.

daisychain01 Sun 21-May-17 15:16:44

Could you repurpose your HR skills towards a more consultancy / managerial type role in your organisation or outside. Whilst the generic HR roles are easier to fill, as you sound like you're more experienced and possibly more senior, you might be able to use the value-add skills gained from your years of experience towards a more management style role. I expect there is something akin to the HR career ladder you could find on your profession's website, to give a bit of inspiration to widen the scope more?

FairiesAlwaysWearBlue Fri 26-May-17 12:01:20

Im the same OP. My industry is niche and now very focussed on 9-12month contracts.

I've applied for 10 roles in the last 18 months and only had 1 interview.

NoisyBrain Sat 27-May-17 17:26:04

I'm job hunting at the moment maggie and I've seen quite a few HR jobs coming up in my region (northern Home Counties) including PT ones - it's made me really wish I worked in HR!

In my industry however, and at my level, there is sod all at the moment, I've had literally no response from the 4 jobs I have applied for, and I'm starting to lose hope of ever escaping my current hellish job, so I feel your pain!

Am thinking of starting a new thread here called 'What the fuck am I doing wrong?' grin

likeababyelephant Sun 28-May-17 14:07:46

There aren't enough HR jobs to applicants? sad I applied for a student placement in London. Hope I get it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now