HR advice sickness pay from employer

(4 Posts)
muddlingalong17 Sun 21-May-17 09:10:34

Hello. I have name changed for this but am a regular on mumsnet.

I am currently off ill with work related stress. I have been off for 3 weeks and my current status with my employer is that I get one months full pay and one months half pay whilst off sick.

However, my entitlement changes in just under a week (due to having been in post 2 years) and this will go up to 2 months full pay and 2 months half pay).

I don't want to be off for much longer but I am definitely not ready to go back yet. Does anybody know - will my new entitlement be triggered in 2 weeks - or does that only apply if in work at time of new entitlement. It would be helpful if I carry on getting full pay.

I hope this makes sense - I did try to have a conversation with somebody at my employers payroll service but it was difficult to make myself understood as I was crying...........

I have never been off sick before so not really sure how it all works
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
daisychain01 Sun 21-May-17 09:20:34

The question you're asking relates to how your company's policy is worded and enacted, because you're saying the policy is changing to a new one while you are off sick. It's best not to guess, which is what you're asking, without having sight of the new policy.

Can you contact the payroll and ask them to email the company's new policy document to you. It should be available to all employees, especially if the terms have only just changed.

muddlingalong17 Sun 21-May-17 09:46:41

Thanks for quick response.

I dont think I have explained myself properly. The policy isnt changing my contract of employment (which I received shortly after starting in post in 2015) explains the policy for sickness pay entitlement

It states
within first two years one month full pay and one month half pay.

On completion of 2 years this changes to 2 months full pay, 2 months half pay. (I will hit my 2 year anniversary)

On completion of 4 years - 4 months full, 4 months half etc.

Hopefully that is a better explanation.

OP’s posts: |
daisychain01 Sun 21-May-17 13:00:20

Thanks for the update. Apologies for my misinterpretation.

I have to make an assumption as I don't know the full detail of your company policy. As you have reached your 2 year anniversary during your period of sick leave you have now 'earned' the entitlement to the additional month on full pay.

However, I would not leave it to that assumption as sickness absence from work at the anniversary date may/may not be specifically covered. I checked mine and it isnt that specific!

I recommend you re-contact payroll as I mentioned upthread and ask them to email or post you the absence policy.

Dont feel bad about seeking clarification. It is your right as an employee to know what the policy says. Im sure payroll are used to receiving requests so its part of their job.

Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in