Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teachers: paternity leave during school holidays.

(4 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Wed 17-May-17 21:24:56

I'm currently pregnant and DH is a teacher. Our baby is due in the summer holidays so he will obviously be off work anyway so where does this leave us in terms of the paternity leave he is entitled to?

Somebody told me that as the baby is born during the school holidays he can just take his two week entitlement when the pupils return after the break....I.e he would just go back two weeks later than the other teachers.

Does anyone know if this is correct or does his paternity allowance just get swallowed up by the fact the baby will be born when he's off anyway?

Bellie99 Wed 17-May-17 21:28:42

Our policy was that he would be entitled to two weeks when he returns back to school. It wouldn't necessarily have to be the first two weeks, although it had to be taken within 6 weeks of term starting

Bellie99 Wed 17-May-17 21:29:25

Is not was sorry!

nerdsville Wed 17-May-17 21:55:34

Paternity leave doesn't have to immediately follow the birth, it just has to have been taken (completed, not just started) within 56 days of the baby's birth. So as long as baby doesn't arrive before the start of the summer holiday then he'll fit the first 2 weeks of term in before the 8 week deadline is up.

Even if baby arrives on the first day of the summer holiday then (assuming the holiday is exactly 6 weeks) his 2 weeks' leave will end bang on day 56 so will fit nicely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now