Talk

Advanced search

Should I put current salary on job application?

(5 Posts)
scarletmonkey Tue 16-May-17 15:19:57

I'm currently filling in a job application for a position I really want.

It's a bit of a change from what I'm doing now, but I have all the relevant qualifications and experience and a lot of transferable skills.

They are asking for my current salary on the job application which I'm a bit wary of putting as I'm currently on about £3000 more than they are offering as a starting salary, which is fine.

I'm a bit wary of putting it on in case it puts them off me. Previously my manager has disregarded a candidate for a position in our office as their current salary was more than being offered. He thought they'd just use the job as a stepping stone to something else.

However, for me the job isn't just about money, I have an awful commute, I really want something closer by home. I've done what I do for a long time and really want a bit of a change.

Besides, when I take into account my reduced commuting costs and annual pay increments on the salary scale, in a few years ill be better off money wise

I'm a bit worried I'll be disregarded if I put it on, should I leave it off?

Frazzled2207 Tue 16-May-17 15:26:32

I'm a recruiter. Normally I think it's helpful to know salary but in your situation I would leave it off. Either that or make it clear in the covering letter that you earn x but would be happy to receive the advertised salary if successful.

EngTech Tue 16-May-17 15:29:24

I always put "To be discussed at interview"

grumpysquash3 Tue 16-May-17 21:40:15

You could put words to the effect of "my salary expectation is £xxx" and put whatever amount you would be happy to receive.

kscience Wed 24-May-17 17:33:14

I had this for my last job application (which I got the position) I just put N/A due to change in sector....worked for me.

At interview I related my expectations with relation to the advertised pay scale...and they surpassed what I expecting and the amount I would have asked for if I had been more explicit!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: