Talk

Advanced search

Should I put current salary on job application?

(5 Posts)
scarletmonkey Tue 16-May-17 15:19:57

I'm currently filling in a job application for a position I really want.

It's a bit of a change from what I'm doing now, but I have all the relevant qualifications and experience and a lot of transferable skills.

They are asking for my current salary on the job application which I'm a bit wary of putting as I'm currently on about £3000 more than they are offering as a starting salary, which is fine.

I'm a bit wary of putting it on in case it puts them off me. Previously my manager has disregarded a candidate for a position in our office as their current salary was more than being offered. He thought they'd just use the job as a stepping stone to something else.

However, for me the job isn't just about money, I have an awful commute, I really want something closer by home. I've done what I do for a long time and really want a bit of a change.

Besides, when I take into account my reduced commuting costs and annual pay increments on the salary scale, in a few years ill be better off money wise

I'm a bit worried I'll be disregarded if I put it on, should I leave it off?

Frazzled2207 Tue 16-May-17 15:26:32

I'm a recruiter. Normally I think it's helpful to know salary but in your situation I would leave it off. Either that or make it clear in the covering letter that you earn x but would be happy to receive the advertised salary if successful.

EngTech Tue 16-May-17 15:29:24

I always put "To be discussed at interview"

grumpysquash3 Tue 16-May-17 21:40:15

You could put words to the effect of "my salary expectation is £xxx" and put whatever amount you would be happy to receive.

kscience Wed 24-May-17 17:33:14

I had this for my last job application (which I got the position) I just put N/A due to change in sector....worked for me.

At interview I related my expectations with relation to the advertised pay scale...and they surpassed what I expecting and the amount I would have asked for if I had been more explicit!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now