Pregnancy related pain - no longer pregnant

(10 Posts)
MaverickSnoopy Tue 16-May-17 07:22:03

I had extreme pgp and sciatica during my last two pregnancies. Between the two pregnancies I would only occasionally have a very mild flare up, ie once every few months if I'd done a lot of walking. My physio during my first pregnancy said this could happen to some people.

Since my last pregnancy it has not gone away. It's not as bad as it was but it effects me in some capacity on usually a daily basis, sometimes every other day. Sometimes it's just a twinge, sometimes I'm completely unable to walk and have to stop what I'm doing entirely. The more I move the more it hurts.

I'm having ongoing physio (monthly). My physio says my back muscles are incredibly weak as a result of my pregnancies and it's going to take a long time to build them back up, if at all (things like lack of sleep and rushing around inhibit any progress I make).

My employer was not supportive when I had it during pregnancy and is likely to be less supportive when I return to work after mat leave. I still need physio and there are still times when I can't walk. My commute to work will also involve quite a bit of walking which is likely to make it worse. My job is desk based but there is a large element of walking around.

I'm worried that they won't understand (as they didn't before) and will expect me to do more than I can manage (as they did before) and that they won't be happy about physio appointments. Appointments can be scheduled towards the start/end of day but they're an hour commute from work. I could book annual leave but both of my children also have quarterly hospital appointments which I need to book that for, plus school holidays (all shared with dh). I don't have enough for it all.

I'm pretty sure I'm not covered under "pregnancy related" as but it was caused by pregnancy. I don't think it would be classed as a disability either because although it can be daily, it's not always and it may not be long term. It would be nice to know if I had some backup to some degree for the pain that I suffer and the disablement that it can sometimes cause. Am I protected at all? Hoping for a starting point to investigate. Mind you I was protected before and they were useless!

OP’s posts: |
ShieldMaidenMamma Tue 16-May-17 07:29:10

I would recommend asking about he CAB. They have a phone line I think, if getting into branch is unfeasible. I'm not sure, but I really would have thought there should be SOME leeway, though I admit there's less and less each year. The CAB should know for sure.

ShieldMaidenMamma Tue 16-May-17 07:29:44

*asking at the. Not sure what my autocorrect thinks its doing...

JustMumNowNotMe Tue 16-May-17 07:35:08

Before you go back, ask to see ocupational health and explain this to them. If they think reasonable adjustments are needed and are practical to the role you do, they will support you by recommending these to your employer.

It used to be that if you had suffered for more than six months and it effected your day to day life most of the time it could be considered an underlying condition under the DDA but I've no idea if this is still the case or not. @Flowery will be your best bet for HR advice, shes excellent.

NameChange30 Tue 16-May-17 07:35:49

I agree with Shield's suggestion to visit/contact Citizens Advice.

There is also useful info here:

JustMumNowNotMe Tue 16-May-17 07:37:28

Looks like its 12 months not 6, sorry i got that wrong!

MaverickSnoopy Tue 16-May-17 09:19:28

Thanks that's helpful. I have had it for over 12 months although different degrees.
May 2011 - Nov 2011 severe
Nov 2011 - Nov 2015 mild occasional, every other month sort of thing
Nov 2015 - Jul 2016 very severe
Jul 2016 - now, frequent almost daily discomfort, sometimes debilitating

It's been a consistent factor effecting my life since October 2015. I hadn't thought about talking to OCC health, but I was under them before I went on mat leave because of this so it makes perfect sense.

I will also talk to CAB and see what they say. Thanks all.

OP’s posts: |
JustMumNowNotMe Tue 16-May-17 09:23:16

Occ health would definitely br my first point of call, and work will likely send you anyway if you request time off for appointments so you may as well be proactive and go and see them ahead of your return to work.

Do your employer have a scheme like IPRS or anything you could get physio through?

flowery Tue 16-May-17 10:48:36

If you have access to occupational health then definitely get in touch with them. Also your GP or another doctor you are under can do you a fit note saying you are fit to work but only if xyz adjustment can be made, assuming that is the case.

You don't have any protection because the condition was initially started as the result of a pregnancy/is worse during pregnancy. You're not pregnant now so it is treated as any other conditions.

It could be a disability though, and the OH should be able to advise on that.

JustMumNowNotMe Tue 16-May-17 10:59:00

Ahhh good, Flowery knows her stuff OP so take her advice smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in