Talk

Advanced search

Advice on NHS pre-employment checks

(15 Posts)
LilaBard Sun 14-May-17 14:16:39

Hi all! New member here, hoping for a little advice as MN was the place that seemed to turn up most when I googled!

I'm looking a little advice on how NHS pre-employment checks work.
I've just been offered a band 2 clerical job in a local trust, which I am thrilled about. What I'm not so thrilled about is how to break it to my current boss.

I've been working in my current job for 10 years almost, 30 hrs/3.5 days a week most of that time (started as FT maternity cover then went to a job share as I liked the place). The older member of staff has been talking about retirement for maybe 3 or 4 years so I always held on as I would have been guaranteed FT hours then but she's showing no signs of leaving and tbh my current wages are getting me deeper into debt.

So basically I've been advised not to hand in my notice til I get a confirmed offer post-checks. My issue is my current boss will be asked for a reference. Do I tell him tomorrow and suffer up to 8 weeks of him being frankly childish about me leaving (as much as I am fond of him, I know he will be), or will the trust tell me when they're at the stage of contacting references so I can give him a heads up? Is there an order the checks usually take? There won't be an issue as I've told the truth, done an aptitude test/interview, and never had any formal or informal warnings at work - somehow!

I work in a very very small place and alongside my boss directly all day every day, so want to avoid an atmosphere if I possibly can.

Thanks for any help or insight you can give!

Pippin8 Sun 14-May-17 14:25:44

As far as I'm aware the trust won't tell you, they'll just email for the references. So, it might be best to give him the heads up.

Also, I don't think there is any set order, different trust HR departments work differently.

Pollyanna9 Sun 14-May-17 14:39:23

I would be cautious about handing the notice in. Firstly you have to be able to provide no-gaps references for about the last 50 yrs (exaggerating, obviously!). When I sent for an interview for the NHS job I'm in currently which was at the start of August 2016 I didn't get to start until a whole month later so just bear that in mind. You should get a confirmation letter from the Trust saying that they've started the process and quite often you have to go in to take ID. I just keep talking to my person and making sure I was working hard to progress anything that might speed things up a bit. Good luck with your new job!

Leopard12 Sun 14-May-17 14:55:08

In my experience they email references straight away once you've accepted so beware he may already know first thing tomorrow if the new hr team are as keen as mine! They won't confirm your job offer until they have reviewed references, ID check and probably dbs check then (in my experience) you have to attend a trust induction which will be your start date but only happen once or twice a month so you don't want to end up having a gap if you hand in your notice before getting these dates, if the checks go quick you'll be able to hand it in soon anyway

LilaBard Sun 14-May-17 15:08:27

Oh poo! I was hoping to talk to him at lunch time tomorrow as everyone else goes home bar us. I only accepted the job late Friday afternoon so hopefully they aren't that on the ball!
I guess I'll just have to take the bull by the horns and tell him first thing, but stress I'm not offically handing in my notice yet.

I've only ever had 2 jobs - one I hated and was glad to be out of, and this one - so I'm not very good at quitting.

Thanks all for the advice smile

Leopard12 Sun 14-May-17 15:24:58

Yep it's a difficult conversation but hopefully he'll understand, mine went much better than I thought with my horrible supervisor and best to come from you if you can! Good luck in your new job!

LilaBard Sun 14-May-17 16:26:27

Thank you lovely! I'm really looking forward to it smile

PookieDo Tue 16-May-17 20:08:45

Do not hand your notice in until you have an unconditional offer in your hand

The steps are: conditional offer, reference checks, DBS, identity documents and then unconditional offer. Once you have the UO you will contact your new employer for a start date.

If you hand your notice in when it is conditional it could be withdrawn, it's too risky

LilaBard Wed 17-May-17 00:33:00

Went well with boss, I let him know I had received another job offer but not 100% firm yet and to expect a request for a reference. Unfortunately I tried to sugarcoat it too much as I want to leave on good terms and said I wouldn't be leaving only I needed more hours (technically true but I also think a trust job is a great opportunity for me) and he now wants me to ask older co-worker if she wants to go part time so I can go full time!
This is what I get for trying to be nice and diplomatic confused

daisychain01 Wed 17-May-17 06:21:19

Don't get involved asking the colleague about her plans, it isn't your place to do that.

Good luck in your new role.

Lorelaiandrory Wed 17-May-17 06:45:16

So glad it went well for you Lila- I am in the same boat waiting for the checks. My boss did not take my resignation so well and is ignoring me!

LilaBard Wed 17-May-17 09:12:16

Yeah Daisy I'm off today but think when I speak to him next I will tell him in just not comfortable with it and think its not really appropriate. She has worked there for over 30 years - imagine how that would go down with our clients if she thought I was responsible for trying to push her out! It would stir up so much trouble. He in not as many swords said he wants me to stay but also cba to train someone new up!

LilaBard Wed 17-May-17 09:14:00

Oh nolorelaiandrory that's such a shame. Fingers crossed the checks go quickly for you and don't have to put up with the awkwardness too much longer.
Congrats on the job too! xx

LilaBard Wed 17-May-17 10:22:38

Another quick question on the topic, if anyone knows please - I have a current AccessNI enhanced disclosure certificate which is the CRB check here in N. Ireland. Will my current certificate do to speed things up or will the trust have to apply for an up to date one?

PookieDo Wed 17-May-17 16:11:17

The trust will pay for a new one. It's online and fairly quick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now