Talk

Advanced search

Handing in notice - tell me I'm not crazy...

(8 Posts)
crazyhead Tue 09-May-17 22:07:41

I'm about to hand in notice on my job in a place I have worked 13 years. Background is that I manage a large team, allegedly work a 4 day week (but do way more) the job has become absurdly stressful, and the structures are currently falling apart (many people are seeking to leave).

However, when I look at comparable or next step roles elsewhere, I see two big problems - one, no roles like mine are part time - most are full time plus! and two, there are elements of the next step up that don't interest me - they just don't play to my strengths and I feel that I'm in the wrong professional area.

On the part time issue - my kids are 5 and 3 - and I want one of us to be there for them more while they grow up. My husband is in a high-earning job while my sector is strapped for cash, so it makes far more sense for it to be me being around more (though he would do whatever he could to make life work for both of us).

On the 'next step is wrong' bit - I have decided to leave and do an MSc in an area I'm really interested in, to see whether that supports me to move towards an alternative career or a retweaked career

Am I mad? These are the things I've done prior to this.
* 6 months careers coaching thinking through what I want (done 18 months ago - I didn't action it straight away due to major some life issues)
* met up with several people in the area I am weighing up going into
* pre handing in my notice, I'll be meeting up with agencies this week to discuss what they think of my CV for interim work in my current area in case all goes wrong
* made peace with myself that I don't NEED to manage a large team like I do now for money or self esteem
* looked at money - we don't need my income.

Do I sound like I'm crazy doing this? I've been in my job too long, and I can't see the wood for the trees.

hesterton Tue 09-May-17 22:09:38

Not in the slightest. If your dh is solid and happy to keep the income incoming, and you want to do this... go for it.

Squeegle Tue 09-May-17 22:10:05

Of course you're not crazy, life is too short to stay where you're miserable! Time for a change smile

nauticant Tue 09-May-17 22:13:22

If you're confident of the family income and confident of your DH's support then this sounds like a very sensible change.

TheOldestCat Tue 09-May-17 22:17:36

You're not crazy - you've done a lot of thinking and preparation. If you don't need your income, what about taking a sideways move to a similar role somewhere else? You don't have to 'step up'.

Good luck to you.

(Disclaimer: I also work four days and have been there for 13 years...and I want a change. I can't as DH's job isn't secure at the mo, but if it wasn't for the finances I would definitely be off. So I may be living vicariously through you grin )

crazyhead Tue 09-May-17 22:30:05

Thank you! I thought about sideways move but I suppose the study bit is about just allowing myself that immersion In a subject for weighing up whether I can pursue something I feel a bit more passion and conviction about

If not, I'll pursue sideways. Or interim is big in my current area so I am sussing that out as an option b. Would be happy with short term contracts.

Anyone else had that feeling of just juggling too many factors once you have kids? Time v pay v satisfaction and the growing realisation you only live once. I've found this so hard!

crazyhead Tue 09-May-17 22:31:00

Ps good luck with serendipity serving you a chance to move OldestCat!

TheOldestCat Tue 09-May-17 22:34:52

Thank you! Serendipity is my favourite word.

The study option sounds brilliant. Good from you.

Agree on all the various factors swirling around - it's exhausting. headspace in short supply!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now