Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tell me honestly what you would choose out of these two jobs

(54 Posts)
maggiethemagpie Mon 08-May-17 20:48:45

So I went for a job interview today. The interview went swimmingly, I really got on with the interviewer (who'd be my manager) and he said at the end that he really liked me and I was through to round two. The job sounds exciting, there'd be lots of project work, it'd be a step up from what I do now, he said he could develop me and I think I could learn a lot from him.

However, the job would be office based on a single site and the office didn't even look very nice.

At the moment I'm home based with travel 1-2 days a week, in a role with NO development whatsoever, and I'm completely bored. I'm sick of working at the level I am, there are no promotional opportunities and I've been doing the same thing over and over again for several years. I'm fed up with the company and the culture. However it's great being home based, makes the day shorter and I usually don't even have a full days work to do (I often have gaps in the day I can use to do stuff around the house/go shopping/do whatever I like)

Pay wise it'd be a slight drop in the new job (ironically I'm overpaid in my current role compared to skills/level) plus commuting costs plus loss of mileage to meetings would equal around a drop of £4 k or so.

But it would be so good for my development that it would increase my earning power in the years to come.

I know I haven't been offered it yet, but things are looking good, I think I am down to the final two or something.

What would you prefer - more money, time to yourself, no commute, but no development and feeling slightly bored.

Or give all that up to work in a pokey office with strip lighting every day but have lots of development in a company that seems to be going places, exciting work, opportunity to learn and grow....

sazzleevans Mon 08-May-17 20:54:04

Sounds like you really want the office based job. Depends on family circumstances I suppose. You challenge yourself other than through a promotion maybe a course etc ?

ALittleMop Mon 08-May-17 20:55:17

I think it depends on what else is going on in your life, tbh and how big a priority work is just now.

On the face of it, the way you've talked about it, I would move jobs if given the chance. Better to be stretched than bored, if you're confident in future it will open up more options and financially you can manage.

Do jobs come up very often in your field? How likely would you be to find a better offer than either?

domesticslattern Mon 08-May-17 20:55:22

Wait till you are offered the job and then negotiate the salary.

Goldfishjane Mon 08-May-17 20:55:58

More money in current job, not enough to do, home based?

No brainer. Keep current job.

bigchris Mon 08-May-17 20:55:59

I wouldn't turn down a job just because of the office and lighting , I'd go for it

bigchris Mon 08-May-17 20:56:56

Oh didn't see the pay drop, can you afford it?

CassandraAusten Mon 08-May-17 20:57:27

It depends on how significant the £4k drop is for you (in terms of what it would mean to your finances). But assuming it wouldn't be a big issue, I'd take the exciting office based job.

maggiethemagpie Mon 08-May-17 21:00:04

Finances wise I could afford the drop - as I'm basically overpaid in my current job (and underworked!) to move anywhere would probably mean a drop.

Yeah, I'm over paid and underworked and thinking of leaving.....

User48627 Mon 08-May-17 21:00:42

I'll have your current job! Bored and at home suits me fine, I HATE working in an office but I'm very introvert (despite being an outgoing person, I need space to think!)

TupperwareTat Mon 08-May-17 21:04:27

Stay at home for now, something else will turn up.

Keep looking.

DisappearingFish Mon 08-May-17 21:06:19

Only move if they match or increase your current salary.

SafeToCross Mon 08-May-17 21:06:35

Keep looking for something better, it is not worth the drop.

maggiethemagpie Mon 08-May-17 21:08:35

To be honest I only went for the interview as I needed some practice on competency based interviewing, been out the loop a while.

I never applied for the job initially as I was speculatively approached and then thought I'd go for interview practice but didn't expect to like the job as much as I did.

Kind of wish I hadn't now, as much as it is flattering to get through to round 2 straight away, and it was good interview practice, it's opened up a can of worms in my head now!

Goldfishjane Mon 08-May-17 21:10:36

Overpaid and underworked and working mostly at home
THIS IS MY DREAM
Please can I have your job?

maggiethemagpie Mon 08-May-17 21:11:19

This is why I'm doubting myself goldfishjane.

But I can just see my career disappearing down the drain if I stay where I am now.

tammytheterminator Mon 08-May-17 21:13:47

Did you know the salary when you applied?

I would be looking for the same salary at least.

maggiethemagpie Mon 08-May-17 21:14:38

Problem is tammy my current salary is above the market rate, plus I get mileage on travel, plus no commuting costs.

So to get comparable salary if I move taking all that into account is very unlikely.

CassandraAusten Mon 08-May-17 21:15:50

But if you know you're overpaid (as opposed to the other job being underpaid) then another job on your current salary may not come up and you'll be stuck in a boring job forever. I'd move.

maggiethemagpie Mon 08-May-17 21:16:03

Might it be worth taking a slight drop if it increases my future earning potential? kind of the same logic as people who take a lower salary when they change careers?

CassandraAusten Mon 08-May-17 21:16:14

X post with you OP!

BobbinThreadbare123 Mon 08-May-17 21:17:32

Your current job sounds amazing in theory, but I'm like you, OP. I can't stand being bored so I'd take the variety and development opportunities. Presumably in the office based role the chance for pay rises will appear too? Also, you can try to negotiate yourself up in pay, surely.

maggiethemagpie Mon 08-May-17 21:19:21

I was told the absolute limit for the job by the recruitment lady, which is slightly below my current basic. So that's what I said my expectations were at interview. I suppose if I was offered I'd see if I could wangle any more. Maybe to match my basic. Couldn't really expect them to factor in the mileage.

SwedishEdith Mon 08-May-17 21:20:26

Can you organise your current job so only work 4 (long?) days? Then you could actually do something on the free day. Compressing your week will make it less boring, I think.

maggiethemagpie Mon 08-May-17 21:22:28

Maybe I just need to be more patient... I've only started looking the last six weeks. The market is really slow, but if I hold out for a job with travel I can at least get a car/car allowance which will make up for a slightly lower basic. Plus I'll be doing more travel, so whilst it may not be completely home based (a lot of jobs in my field are multi site) it would not be the same four walls every day.

I just had that real sense of rapport and culture fit that you don't find all the time in interviews, and I could see myself learning a lot from this manager and in this job.

If it had been a date, you would have said there was 'chemistry'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now