Talk

Advanced search

Flexible working request and PND

(11 Posts)
TwinTwisted Fri 28-Apr-17 16:42:52

I'm completing my first flexible working request and don't know whether to mention my PND - can anyone who works in HR advise me please?

Part of the reason I want to return part-time is because of my PND (which I'm on antidepressants to treat for the foreseeable future). I feel highly anxious being away from my twins and tbh I would ideally not return to work but that's not possible financially. I'm going to ask to work 3 days and am trying to make it sound positive (such as a job share could give someone else in the organisation an opportunity to gain experience in my role) but my main reason is due to the psychological issues I have. I just don't know if I should mention it and if it would 'mark my card' so to speak.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

daisychain01 Fri 28-Apr-17 18:38:21

It may be worth consulting with your GP as it is likely they have experience of how PND can be presented in the workplace.

If your GP feels it can be classed as a disability it means your employer is duty bound to make reasonable adjustments for you. By raising their awareness of your challenge it can give you added protection. Also it can be a positive thing to be supported by your company because it increases your confidence and they get better productivity. A win-win!

skyzumarubble Fri 28-Apr-17 19:01:06

I wouldn't mention it. For flexible working you need to argue the case that it will benefit the business or at least not be detrimental to it. Get over that hurdle first and then bring it up if you feel you need support.

daisychain01 Fri 28-Apr-17 19:29:02

OPs "highly anxious" condition suggests to me that it is significant enough to affect her work. By minimising it with her employer it will mean they don't have the opportunity to support her in the workplace, making her feel even more isolated and stressed.

From what I've seen of mums moving from FT to PT work, employers often continue to expect the same volume of work to be compressed into fewer hours. That's a big risk to the OPs health.

daisychain01 Sat 29-Apr-17 03:49:57

TwinTwisted below is a link to the Citizens Advice website, Flexible Working resources page, which has a list of contact details for organisations who are there to support people trying to gain a worklife balance.

There are some templates available with advice on creating a flexible working request that is convincing and more likely to be approved:-

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/flexible-working/flexible-working-further-help/

TwinTwisted Sun 30-Apr-17 22:01:47

daisychain01 thank you so much for your help, that link is very useful and I'm going to make an appointment with my GP. I'm trying to feel slightly more positive that my employer could make accommodations for my PND.

TwinTwisted Mon 29-May-17 23:58:32

Just an update on my flexible working request - I included my PND and have been asked to attend an occupational health appointment. My anxiety is going through the roof! Has anyone else been to an OH appointment for a mental health reason and could give me any advice?

I went to the doctor before submitting my flexible working request and they were bemused at me asking about it. They just increased my antidepressant dosage which will hopefully help anyway.

DropZoneOne Tue 30-May-17 00:11:07

Not had OH myself, but did refer a colleague following an operation. It shouldn't be anything to worry about. Essentially your HR department are saying, we don't know enough about this to be able to make reasonable adjustments to help you back to work so we're going to ask the experts.

OH will talk to you about what you're able to do, what your PND prevents you from doing, what adjustments would help.

CotswoldStrife Tue 30-May-17 00:30:56

Is the OH referral definitely down to the flexible working request, or have you had additional (sick, after your maternity) leave because of the PND?

I assume that your employer is simply seeing what support you need and if they can help, and also how long the PND is expected to last because it is not a permanent condition.

TwinTwisted Tue 30-May-17 12:05:09

It's about my flexible working request, I haven't taken any sick leave. Thanks for letting me know what's likely to happen, I've been dreading an interrogation!

daisychain01 Tue 30-May-17 13:59:58

Be honest about how you have been feeling, and impress on them how eager you are for support so that you can continue to contribute even though you have had some challenges.

The key thing is to show them what you are doing and the steps you are taking to get through this current period, which will improve over time. They are there to support you while you get better. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now