Talk

Advanced search

Offered less than advertised

(9 Posts)
Arkengarthdale Fri 28-Apr-17 11:26:44

So what do you do when you're offered a job at less than the advertised salary? It didn't state a range, didn't state 'up to', just a bald figure.

I've been out of work for a while following a horrible experience with bullying and grievance etc so I'm very grateful to be offered anything.

I've said I'll meet them slightly more than half way, if they don't agree will I have to start off with an awareness that my negotiating skills are crap? smile

Thanks

MovingtoParadise Fri 28-Apr-17 14:01:44

Have you asked for clarification why they're offering less than the advertised salary?

MovingtoParadise Fri 28-Apr-17 14:01:44

Have you asked for clarification why they're offering less than the advertised salary?

Dizzybacon Fri 28-Apr-17 14:11:00

Insist on the offered salary. If they are trying to negotiate a temporary reduction based on your experience and to see if you are suitable to be reviewed in 3-6 months time blah blah is bollocks.

Chances are you will never see that salary and that's what probationary periods are for, stand your ground. Your worth what it was advertised for.

Arkengarthdale Fri 28-Apr-17 14:24:34

Thanks! I think they advertised it high to draw in good candidates 🙄

sausagedogrolls Fri 28-Apr-17 17:21:45

Are you me?

I've had exactly the same thing. Was offered £3k under salary for a contract job. Have loads of experience and contract experience. Not too sure who their perfect candidate is... hmm

They were umming and ahhing so I turned it down.

It doesn't inspire confidence when they mislead you on the salary.

Arkengarthdale Sat 29-Apr-17 16:09:22

That is so crap sausagedogrolls. I've just been offered another one - at less than I'm entitled to (transfer)

I'm beginning to feel unwanted...

beargrass Sat 29-Apr-17 16:10:59

That's terrible! Could you ask for a review after 6 months at which stage your salary goes up to £X amount if you meet all your targets?

sausagedogrolls Sat 29-Apr-17 21:28:35

I keep thinking it's a bit like picking up a packet of biscuits in the supermarket for a £1 and being told it's £1.50 at the till...

angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now