Talk

Advanced search

Maternity pay - what is the best option?

(1 Post)
Lauren12Belle Thu 27-Apr-17 08:11:59

Hi!

I wondered if anyone with more knowledge than I could help please.

I am currently self employed. I do not earn a tonne but enough to make sure that myself and the family have food shopping, clothes shopping and days out. My other half covers the main bills.

I am hoping to have a baby some time next year. However, I wasn't sure whether it would be best to stay as self employed or register as a limited company.

I do not know about allowances for mothers when self employed. Is there such a thing? Is it dependent on earnings? Should I just use savings to see me through if I remain self employed?

My work could easily be transfered to a limited company. Previous to having DD I ran a company fairly well and am aware of tax differences compared to being self employed. I also recall that maternity pay, whenever a staff member or myself required leave to have a small human was covered by our wonderful government, who sent payment for the full amount to the company as soon as maternity leave commenced.

Am I better staying self employed or registering as an employee of a limited company (which I can set up)? I understand the timing requirements of the latter.

Thank you..smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now