Talk

Advanced search

Repaying OMP, NHS

(9 Posts)
Tobuyornot99 Wed 26-Apr-17 10:53:36

Any help appreciated, I'm due to return to work and my flexible working request has been turned down. I can't really see any option other than to go to the price sector, unfortunately. Has anyone had experience of repaying NHS OMP, and we're you able to come to an agreement to repay over a period of time, or did they want it all in one go? TIA.

Tobuyornot99 Wed 26-Apr-17 18:37:01

Hopeful bump.....

GahBuggerit Wed 26-Apr-17 18:45:16

Hi op, i have no experience but a reasonable employer would exercise discretion and allow flexible repayments. I'd put a proposal together iiwm outlining why you are having to leave and a schedule of payments.

Have you any holidays outstanding? Be aware they may just recoup as much as they can from your final payment.

Good luck!

Tobuyornot99 Wed 26-Apr-17 19:06:44

Thanks Gah, fab username by the way! Discretion always worries me, is the finance director having a good day or a bad day, your financial life in someone's hands. I'm sure you're right though, if I present a plan they can hardly say no if it's a reasonable one.

GahBuggerit Wed 26-Apr-17 21:29:59

Thanks grin

I know what you mean, but I'd like to think that even the most dickish of FDs would consider it unless you have given them shit in the past! From their pov it's either agree to a plan, or go in guns blazing to claw back an amount of money that not many people have to hand, especially as you were willing to go back but can't. Then it's going through the costly ballache of legal action which might be fair enough if you refused to pay it back but you aren't, just asking for a bit of flexibility and understanding given the unfortunate circumstances of you not being able to return.

It's a shame isn't it when flex working is rejected, i was so upset but it turned out to be the best thing to happen in my career.

MyNameIsAlexDrake Wed 26-Apr-17 23:05:36

How long would you have to return to work for so that the OMP isn't due? Just thinking that with accrued annual leave if it's only one month you might be able to use your leave for most of it, then resign?

colleysmill Wed 26-Apr-17 23:10:03

From recollection I think nhs is 3 months return to work to avoid paying it back.

It may vary from trust to trust so I would check local policy to be sure

colleysmill Wed 26-Apr-17 23:12:08

Sorry pressed too soon. Any annual leave accrued must be carried over when on mat leave in nhs so I'd see how much you are entitled to (if any) to carry over as you could put that towards your 3 month notice

Tobuyornot99 Thu 27-Apr-17 08:32:34

Thanks all, gah it's good to know that you had a positive outcome. It's just so frustrating that our Trust has a huge recruitment shortage and my perfectly reasonable request has been turned down.

It's a 3 month tie in, just wondered if anyone had managed to get it reduced under these circumstances, HR are about as useful as chickenpox sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now