Talk

Advanced search

2 urgent work issues can anyone help me?

(9 Posts)
user1492958275 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:10:37

I applied for time off for this coming Friday as my grandads ready for burial (we have already had the funeral 8 weeks ago) but now his plot and ashes are ready he will be being scattered and the urn buried and tree planted this Friday.

Work have refused me time off for this - surely this comes under compassionate leave or something? Theres not a chance on this earth I'll be missing it and not being there to support my nan.

Second less important issue is. I changed my hours back in March and went onto a different day set. So currently do 3 12 hour days and a 15 hour shift on a sunday and should have been paid a salary of 40 hours per week.

Instead since this conversation they've been paying me a 30 hour contract. This is still not resolved after 7 weeks - how can I make them sort this out faster?

And 3rdly, I did apply to drop my sunday shift and expect the salary drop to come with this, but was completely refused I was basically told I have to do 40 hours a week or cut down to part time 20 hours a week, but am still expected to do atleast the 15 hour shift + 2 12 hour shifts on a 20 hour contract (should i accept and go down to part time)

For what it's worth I work in the care industry, I adore my job and am very lucky to have an employer that pays a salary rather than 0 hours. I do not want to leave but I do want to know where I stand with all this.

I'm dreadfully unhappy at the moment I'm just not getting enough time at home with my son anymore. I wish I never changed my hours in the first place but thought the salary increase would be useful but they've not paid me it yet and so I've seen no difference and refusing me Friday off is just kind of tipping me over the edge and I'm ready to lose my shit with them.

Any advice?

DrowningSeas Tue 25-Apr-17 13:14:54

If you're only being paid for 30 hours then you only work for 30 hours.

Speak to your manager and say you will not be in as you're only working what you are paid.

BabytoBoris Tue 25-Apr-17 13:23:54

Taking your first issue, sadly you'd not automaticly get compassionate or any other leave for a burial, you'll need to negotiate something with your employer

lougle Tue 25-Apr-17 13:36:28

I'm confused. You currently do 3x12hrs (36) + 15 = 51 hours on a 40 hour contract. Instead they have been paying you a 30 hour contract for 51 hours per week.

You would like to drop to a 20 hour contract, but have been told that to get that, you'd still have to work at least 2x12hours (24) + 15 hours = 39 hours?

Am I reading this incorrectly??

CotswoldStrife Tue 25-Apr-17 13:41:41

Sorry for your loss, OP. No, Friday would not normally come under compassionate leave - did you ask for a day's holiday?

As the hours you have given add up to more than 40 I am not sure of your query tbh.

Yellowcups Tue 25-Apr-17 13:46:00

Take Friday as annual leave the funeral day will be the compassionate leave day.

Arrange a meeting asap and outline what's going on. Tell them how much they owe you and say you expect it to be put into your bank account on your next salary day. Arrange another meeting for said salary day whilst your are explaining all their errors. Let them know that hopefully things will be resolved but surely they can see you cant work for nearly half the pay! Hopefully by the time second meeting comes round it can be used to just confirm correct salary adjustments have been made.

Do you have new contract/ email amendment?

Theresnonamesleft Tue 25-Apr-17 14:15:08

Ask how comes Friday has been refused when you are contracted to 40 but doing over 50. So technically Friday wouldn't be a work day.
If that is refused ask for time off in lieu of the equivalent hours they owe you for the past 7 weeks. Remind theythey owe you 147 hours in pay.

CotswoldStrife Tue 25-Apr-17 14:25:21

I suspect that the OP's additional hours are at an enhanced rate - there is often a trigger point (say 40 hours) and hours over that will be at an enhanced rate (so 40 hours at standard and 10 at an enhanced rate). So the part-time position may not attract any enhanced-rate hours, on a 20 hour contract she'd be working around 39 hours but all at the flat rate.

So they don't owe the OP 147 hours in pay, but they probably owe her additional pay for a higher hourly rate (but we'd need the OP to come back and confirm that!).

unfortunateevents Tue 25-Apr-17 14:31:17

Unfortunately you don't have a right to have Friday off as compassionate leave - I assume you did already have time off for the funeral itself as CL? You could ask for a day's annual leave instead although it may be rather short notice now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now