Talk

Advanced search

Negotiating salary

(12 Posts)
sausagedogrolls Mon 24-Apr-17 17:19:34

12 month contract job advertised for £35k. After a telephone interview and two interviews, I got pipped at the post by the other candidate just over a week ago.

Recruiter (from the company) has rung me today and said that the other candidate has pulled out and the job is mine if I want it. He's offered me £32k. When asked about the £35k, he said it should have been 'up to £35k'. I don't think this was a mistake as it was on several websites and advertised with two recruitment agencies. Time is of the essence for them now as they want someone to start at the beginning of May. If I turn this down they will have to start the recruitment process again.

I have another (first) interview tomorrow for a permanent job paying £32k. I have told the recruiter and have asked if they can up their offer. He is going to check and come back to me.

Does anyone have advice on how to proceed? I'm a bit miffed that they've advertised a salary then offered me £3k less. FWIW, I have done this job a long time and completed lots of contracts so in the grand scheme of things of things I should be at the top of the payscale.

daisychain01 Mon 24-Apr-17 17:55:48

I'd negotiate an immediate start on £32k with an uplift to £35k on successful completion of your probationary period.

They are cheapskate doing that, they know you'll probably think "a bird in the hand". Just counter them by showing you're not going to undersell yourself that easily!

sausagedogrolls Mon 24-Apr-17 19:54:11

Thanks daisychain

My only concern with doing that is that I will get my foot in the door and they will find a reason for me not to pass my probation (which has never happened previously). The recruitment process has been ridiculously long. It was two weeks of radio silence before they came back to invite me to a second interview.

I think I will probably reject it if it's less than £35k.

daisychain01 Tue 25-Apr-17 03:51:25

You are right, I don't blame you, it would be no skin off their nose to start you off on a positive note. If they value you enough they should remunerate you according to the level they had advertised.

Hope they don't want to lose you for 3K!

Greystars Tue 25-Apr-17 04:04:51

A private recruiter would be getting a percentage of your starting salary.

Stick to the £35k, recruiting good people is a very expensive process for companies!

Good luck!!

sausagedogrolls Tue 25-Apr-17 06:55:17

Thanks both

I've slept on it and definitely won't accept anything below £35k. In fact, it's really pissed me off that they've made me an offer below. I guess most women would roll over.

I was earning £30k ten years ago so it's not a ridiculous salary in the scheme of things.

topcat2014 Tue 25-Apr-17 06:59:03

In my experience, moving jobs is the only time you get to make real jumps in pay.

New starters are often paid more than replacements, as increases for the incumbents fall behind the market.

I would ask for £35k, or tell them to stick it.

If you start on £32 you will feel undervalued, and it will actually affect your self confidence.

I once started on a pay cut of a few K, and, to be honest, I never really liked that job.

good luck.

sausagedogrolls Tue 25-Apr-17 18:22:52

Spoke to recruiter again earlier. Still no decision. I think I may just tell them to stick it regardless of salary.

QuackDuckQuack Tue 25-Apr-17 18:28:06

What are the benefits like? Often a ST contract means you miss out on a bonus and potentially don't get decent pension contributions. You may need the £35k just to make the package equivalent to the permanent role at £32k.

senua Tue 25-Apr-17 18:35:46

The recruitment process has been ridiculously long. It was two weeks of radio silence before they came back to invite me to a second interview ... Still no decision

When someone tells you what they are like, listen. They don't sound very professional.
Hope today went well.

AgentProvocateur Tue 25-Apr-17 18:39:28

Stick to 35k. You hold the cards here.

sausagedogrolls Tue 25-Apr-17 18:42:47

Quack we haven't even discussed benefits. They work a standard 37.5 hour week with 25 days holiday. It does say pension and bonus in the job description but I'm not holding my breath on that front.

senua I know. That's already crossed my mind. My gut feeling is to kick it into the long grass now. This is the head office of a large and very well known company. I would expect better to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now