Talk

Advanced search

New job contract

(5 Posts)
Bananajam Mon 24-Apr-17 16:36:30

I accepted a job offer 5 weeks ago and was told that they would request my references and then i would receive my contract probably the following week. My references took a week or so to be done and emailed ( confirmed sent by both my manager and employer). I still haven't received my contract. I emailed the new business manager on the 14th April and had a response back on the 17th saying she had been on leave for the previous week, apologised for the delay and said i should receive my contract that week from HR if everything was received. I had asked if i was holding anything up and was told no.

What do I do? Is it normal to wait this long? It's a role in an NHS hospital but i already work for the NHS so not coming in as a new employee as such. Would you be annoyed if i emailed again? DH keeps telling me I should contact her because it's taking too long but i don't want to be a pain before I've even started the job!!

Any advice? TIA

daisychain01 Mon 24-Apr-17 17:37:07

I agree with your DH, you shouldn't have to wait so long for the paperwork to be sent to you. When is your start date? Have you already left your old role, served your notice period etc?

It seems shabby not to have everything in place. I would email your contact and say " I haven't received my Contract, and I am now concerned and unsure whether to turn up for work with you on my first day which is xxxxx (highlight/ embolden the date!) "

Don't hold back or feel you are being a pain, they are in the wrong, it isn't your fault!

Bananajam Mon 24-Apr-17 18:11:40

I officially finish tomorrow although i actually finished last Friday as today and tomorrow were booked as annual leave. I was hoping to start next week but as no start date is arranged I'm wondering if that's going to be possible. I was told not to hand my notice in until I'd received my contract but as my manager had been asked for a reference he was keen for me to hand my notice in. I can manage for a week or two unpaid but can't go too long.

Thanks, I'll email her tomorrow if the postman doesn't deliver it by midday.

daisychain01 Tue 25-Apr-17 08:37:32

I was told not to hand my notice in until I'd received my contract but as my manager had been asked for a reference he was keen for me to hand my notice in. I can manage for a week or two unpaid but can't go too long

Your manager had no right to insist on you handing in your notice until you were good and ready to do so. It didn't matter that he had to process the references, it doesn't make any difference to your contract of employment with your current employer.

What you should have said was that you haven't received any paperwork yet so you are not in a position to hand in your notice until your contract for the new role is in place. He couldn't have argued with that.

Bananajam Tue 25-Apr-17 09:39:12

I know, i am now realising my mistake and that i should have been more patient. I couldn't wait to get out but should have hired my time a little longer. I never thought it would take this long.

I will email today as it's another short week next week and i really need to get a date sorted out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now