We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Paternity Leave Rights

(3 Posts)
Emma0509 Mon 24-Apr-17 13:39:12

Hi all,

Hoping that someone can help. My husband is a teacher and the only male teacher in his school. He was originally told by the head that he would only get Statutory Paternity Pay for 2 weeks (She obviously has never had to give anyone paternity leave previously). It didn't sound right to me so he checked the written policy his work has and it states "support staff" get 1 week full pay and 1 week SPP but "Teachers" get 3 days full pay for the 1st week and SPP for 2nd week.

Does anyone know if this is even legal?!
I have never ever heard of any workplace giving different paternity benefits to different staff? How is it right that "Support staff" get so much more than teachers?

Any advice is much appreciated!

daisychain01 Mon 24-Apr-17 14:23:28

So are you saying there is a difference of two days? Just a bit thrown by your comment that "support staff get so much more than Teachers"

Can your DH check out his Paternity Leave rights with his Union (hopefully he belongs to one?)

flowery Mon 24-Apr-17 14:45:50

Perfectly legal yes, and it is usually the case in schools that teachers' terms and conditions and those for support staff are different.

I'm not sure two additional days counts as 'so much more', but it would be nice for his school to give the same, I agree, particularly as maternity pay for teachers is enhanced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now