Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Boss wants me to work few hours before funeral

(14 Posts)
Evvy543 Mon 24-Apr-17 06:20:31

I don't want to go in to work at all. I can't concentrate as it is and I have barely slept.

Am I being unreasonable asking for the full day off?

Xxx

Newtssuitcase Mon 24-Apr-17 06:24:11

There's a difference between whether YABU and whether your boss can make you work.

You have no entitlement to time off for a funeral I'm afraid unless your specific company gives you a contractual right. As such your boss can insist that you work beforehand.

Brokenbiscuit Mon 24-Apr-17 06:25:01

Is it a funeral for a close family member? I think it would be entirely reasonable to expect a whole day off for that.

I'm sorry for your loss.flowers

FruitCider Mon 24-Apr-17 06:53:11

It depends who it is that has died? Sorry for your loss x

peukpokicuzo Mon 24-Apr-17 07:02:24

Are you being given the funeral time off as additional compassionate leave or are you taking annual leave for it?
Is there something particular happening that day that you are personally needed for?

At a company I work with (not my actual employers) the CEO is having to cope with chairing a critical meeting on the same day as his own mother's funeral because he is indispensable to the meeting and neither the meeting nor the funeral can be on a different day. It's awful for him but he will get through. But if it's just your boss being lazy about scheduling and just wants you on shift when there are others who could do it then you shouldn't be expected to be in work (but should use annual leave for it)

Evvy543 Mon 24-Apr-17 07:12:02

Close family.

Not sure about cover as It's a new job and I'm still learning the ropes.

Don't want to say too much as it may identify me.

Xx

AprilSkies44 Mon 24-Apr-17 07:13:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HunterHearstHelmsley Mon 24-Apr-17 07:16:18

I have this situation at work currently. We allow 2 days paid compassionate leave then any more unpaid or annual leave. The person in question had 2 days compassionate and has no leave left. I've compromised and said they can have half day paid for the funeral which isn't good enough.

It's tricky as my hands are tied.

Evvy543 Mon 24-Apr-17 07:28:23

Hmmm
I can't think straight. I don't even like the job since I've started it either.

My old boss wouldn't expect me to work today at all given the circumstances but I appreciate everywhere is different.

Xx

TreeTop7 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:35:12

I think that it's very odd not to let someone have a full day off for a close relative's funeral. It may not be illegal, but it's a sign of an intransigent and unsympathetic employer. Some managers like to think that their departments are terribly important but really, there is very little that cannot wait a day or can't be covered by someone else.

Ikillallplants Tue 25-Apr-17 17:41:09

Firstly, sorry for your loss.

I work in a professional office. A day off for a funeral is an absolute given. You would have to be very high up the food chain to need to be at a meeting that really couldn't go on without you. Have you already taken time off?

WipsGlitter Tue 25-Apr-17 18:13:50

How close?

Parent, child, spouse or sibling. Yes.

Anyone else... debatable.

daisychain01 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:52:23

Unfortunately nowadays a lot of companies expect employees to deal with bereavements around the priorities of the business.

even if you don't get much done, can you just be there in body if not in mind just to show wiling. I don't suppose they will expect much from you anyway.

Come onto MN for a handhold and a vent. It sounds like your employers are taking a hard line approach and probably feel as the new person you have to just 'deal with it'.

Tottyandmarchpane1 Wed 26-Apr-17 15:43:01

I think judging by your other thread that your attitude to the company and 'telling them' you were having the time off is probably key here. I know you want us to say it is fine but it really isn't. They may not trust you because your attitude comes across. As a PP said unless parent, sibling or child you really could go in and do a few hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now