Talk

Advanced search

Three shorter days or two long ones?

(12 Posts)
Sodabread Sat 22-Apr-17 19:48:51

My oldest child will start school in September. My youngest will be 2 in September.

I currently do two longish days (still do drop offs, but don't finish till 6, and not home till 7). In September, I could do three shorter days, which would increase commute cost and time travelling which is an hour each way, but means I could drop and collect oldest at school. I think that would be better for my school aged child, but means my then 2 yo would pretty much be in childcare three days a week (although they would be shorter ones....)

Is it better to spread it out or keep it two days ?

TigerBreadAddict Sat 22-Apr-17 19:51:02

Two long days, an extra while day at home is much better

TigerBreadAddict Sat 22-Apr-17 19:51:12

*whole day

TigerBreadAddict Sat 22-Apr-17 19:52:23

Also there is loads of stuff at school like sports day, assemblies, etc which it's nice to be around at home to be part of

RhinestoneCowgirl Sat 22-Apr-17 19:52:35

While you still have preschooler I would say 2 long days better.

Less traveling too.

BarchesterFlowers Sat 22-Apr-17 19:54:37

I would do longer days too. I do full time in four days, one 10-13 hour day and then the rest split over three days. I do 40-44 hours a week normally.

I love having a day off in the week.

esiotrot2015 Sat 22-Apr-17 19:57:55

I'd stick to two longer days

SnugglyBedSocks Sat 22-Apr-17 19:59:57

Long days here too. I work the same anount of hours as a friend. Mine are iver two days. Hers are school hours and she never gets any time to do anything.

Much easier to sort two days during school holidays or if they are off school.

grasspigeons Sat 22-Apr-17 20:01:49

Two long days.

You'll still pick your child up 3 days a week.

You more likely to make christmas plays, class assembly's, open mornings etc as you have one more day at home.

You only need find 2 days holiday childcare.

I don't know which days you do and if their is flexibility but inset days tend to be Mondays or Fridays and can be quite hard to cover as there are no holiday clubs.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sat 22-Apr-17 20:32:55

I stuck with fewer (in my case 3) long days till mine were both at full time school, I did the morning dropoffs on those and DH or my parents picked up. I changed to school hours only (4 days, different job) once they were both in school, but am allowed to go back to 3 longer days in the holidays. I would do the same again.

bluebelltippytoes Sat 22-Apr-17 21:50:53

I would always choose long days. It's much better use of time. Two days faffing to get out of the house/everyone organised rather than three.

How long does it take you to get out of the house in the morning, drop off children, commute then commute home? About three hours per day? That's a fair chunk of time on top of another day if you choose the shorter day option.

Sodabread Mon 24-Apr-17 18:55:37

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I thought two longer days makes more sense but what I want is two shorter days!!! I suppose I also wondered whether three shorter days might also work for my two year old as the day in childcare is not so long, but as I still couldn't fit it into a morning session, it's hard to find childcare for a two year old that's just 9- 2.30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now