Talk

Advanced search

Started job at 8 weeks pregnant - What to do?

(10 Posts)
DeanaPiana Tue 18-Apr-17 19:59:55

I'm employed by the NHS so the actual starting date took for blooming ever before it was official. I started work on 10th April 2017 at 8 weeks pregnant. About 4 weeks when I got the job.

I haven't worked before this for over a year. I've been on ESA.

Will I be entitled to anything at all financially? It appears I don't even qualify for statutory MP sad

It's all a bit confusing, I just want someone to break it down to me in a 'Maternity Pay for Dummies' fashion.

DH is on around £25K. I'm on £21K. We live in London, have £1K rent to pay a month plus currently put £500 away in savings for a mortgage. I understand the savings won't really be possible whilst I'm on ML.

Does anyone know what I'd be entitled to? I don't even seem to qualify for the very basic payment from the government.

Is it wise to go back, at say, 4 months post baby? There is an on site nursery from 3 months. I know I won't want to go back but financially it seems wise.

Many thanks smile

TittyGolightly Tue 18-Apr-17 20:03:29

If you work for 6 months you'll be entitled to maternity allowance. It's about £140 a week for 39 weeks.

DeanaPiana Tue 18-Apr-17 20:09:39

Titty thank you. Is that paid by my employer?

ForeverBubblegum Tue 18-Apr-17 21:05:15

Maternity Allowance is sorted through the job centre. It is apparently a beast of a form to fill in but you end up with the same as you would on statutory, minus the 90% for the first 6 weeks.

Congratulations on your pregnancy flowers

DeanaPiana Tue 18-Apr-17 21:29:14

ForeverBubblegum thank you! Very helpful. Nothing like a big form grin

museumum Tue 18-Apr-17 21:33:15

You can do maternity allowance all by post. Get the form online. It's what freelancers (like me) can get and comes straight from the govt. on what you earn it will be the same amount as SMP.

DeanaPiana Tue 18-Apr-17 21:34:19

Will my working tax credits be any different for the duration I'm on maternity leave?

HopeAndJoy16 Tue 18-Apr-17 21:41:01

I was in a similar situation, I didn't start until I was 16 weeks. For maternity allowance they look at your average earnings over 13 (or possibly 16?) Weeks within a certain time period. I used the website just to get a brief idea of whether i would be entitled. I had to get a temp job just to cover the minimum employment time but if you're already working at 8 weeks you should be fine! The form is a pain to fill in, but it's worth having a look now to get your head around it. I'm still waiting to hear about my claim ☺ xx

DeanaPiana Tue 18-Apr-17 21:44:46

Hope Good luck with your claim! Hope it's what you want and need flowers

TittyGolightly Tue 18-Apr-17 23:17:38

For maternity allowance they look at your average earnings over 13 (or possibly 16?) Weeks within a certain time period.

It's 26 weeks in 66. If the OP does 6 months in this job before going on mat leave they should be eligible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now