Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Going back to same team after putting in grievance against manager?

(8 Posts)
PuffinNose Sat 15-Apr-17 23:33:57

New account as I can't access my old one but would be greatful for some experience and advice please.

I was moved into a new team late 2015. Manager is a bully. I went off with stress late 2016 (yes , I know but I couldn't continue) and put in a formal grievance. The grievance took months to start but might be concluding in the next month or so. It's not complicated but the wheels are slow.

To maybe complicate matters there was talk of my performance being poor and starting formal proceedures. I was never given proper examples/action plan etc and I truely believe I was on a par with my peers and before moving into the team there were never any issues.

Also, a member of staff has been added between manager and my level (org is very top heavy) so my daily line management would be to her but realistically it's such a tiny team that there isn't that distinction in practice and manager sits on my block of desks etc

I've been back at work for a month in a different deparfment at a different site so manager and I can avoid each other. It has been made clear over and over that this is temporary during the investigation. I love this work and team and think I can do this job well. They have said they are delighted I'm with them. It's an appropriate level.

Regardless of the grievance outcome can they really expect me to go back to being managed by manager? There may now be another management tier but in practice I don't know that it will make much difference. I hated the job and they thought I couldn't do it. Now there will be this elephant in the room. I don't know how we can all work together after this. Is it likely I'll be expected to just go back to my old role/team? Is there anything I can do if they do? Occ health have written to say I can't go back to the same team because it will be awful for everyone but they don't listen to occ health much.

Just for info, manager's boss has made it clear he doesn't believe me. Much of my evidence was from private interactions so not much evidence. I think some colleagues will back me up during the investigation but I don't know. Manager is good at sliding out of things but has an informal reputation as a bully. Manager is much more important/valuble than me. Even if the investigators uphold my grievance not much will happen to manager in reality.

Phew. Thank you for reading! Now back to the job search...

daisychain01 Sun 16-Apr-17 08:15:58

In the grievance investigation, a key part of that process is to ask them employee for their suggested resolution. If you haven't done so already I would suggest you ask to be moved permanently into this new role you are now doing (that you enjoy and are good at).

It wouldn't make business sense for them to move you back into your old role, where you were previously bullied. It puts the company on shaky ground because you could argue that they have not upheld their duty of care for a safe healthy workplace environment, by not protecting you from a workplace bully when you have brought a grievance against the manager.

if they do force you to go back into the old role, I would seriously consider your future there, because they may be using it as a tactic to make it uncomfortable and help you make the decision to leave. The stress of pursuing an ongoing grievance that doesn't resolve satisfactorily, not worth it in the majority of cases.

If they place value in you as an employee, you will find them willing to move you permanently so they get to retain the employee and you the employee's wellbeing and motivation is restored quickly.

PuffinNose Sun 16-Apr-17 09:58:24

Thanks for the reply Daisy.
Manager was trying to push me out via performance. It stems from a project he made a mess of and I was pulled in to fix (without that being the official reason), hence being moved into the team in the first place.
My future is not in the company. Which is a shame as I've worked there for a long time. I'm looking for a new job but can't afford to just leave this one without something lined up. I've tried to make the figures work but we will really struggle.
So yes, if I can't find a new job I will be forced out one way or another in that team.
The only people I know who have raised a bullying grievance (it's an issue there) have resulted in both the complainent and bully leaving the org but I don't know the circumstances, whether the grievance was upheld etc. They won't remove manager regardless. There are a couple of v. serious incidents but no one saw them.
I have previously asked to be redeployed. I'll formally ask again. Good idea.

daisychain01 Sun 16-Apr-17 10:20:34

Well done you for keeping your cool and exploring options. I hope you can be redeployed as it sounds like a solution. Cling onto your 2 year service employment rights if you can make the circumstances work well for you.

PuffinNose Sun 16-Apr-17 10:42:14

I'll look at the 2 years service rights. I don't know about those. Thank you.

daisychain01 Sun 16-Apr-17 11:06:09

Just to clarify all I mean by 2 years employment rights is that it takes 2 years for a uk employee to "earn" those right and by moving to another company you are starting the clock from zero.

So if you can, it is worth trying to keep your continuity of service by being redeployed.

PuffinNose Sun 16-Apr-17 12:29:27

Thanks DaisyChain. I'd lose my very good pension etc as well so not ideal but if I need to... shrug.

daisychain01 Sun 16-Apr-17 12:31:09

If you have a final salary or career average pension, that's a very good reason to try to resolve. Plus the continuity of income which you mentioned is important to you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now