Talk

Advanced search

'Acting up' - what next?

(11 Posts)
SingingGoldfinch Sat 15-Apr-17 19:30:43

Hi - I posted a couple of weeks ago about my dilemma over whether or not to apply for the job I've been 'acting up' into for almost a year. Well, job is now being advertised and is at a significantly higher level to the one I'm currently operating at. This is hugely frustrating as it basically rules me out of the opportunity and means I'll be back to my substantive post which I was last in two years ago. Obviously it's always been a possibility but I'm feeling so demotivated and like all the hard work and commitment I've put in over the past couple of years could well go completely unnoticed. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle the situation really. Thanks for reading!

StealthPolarBear Sat 15-Apr-17 19:32:19

No chance you can just go for it? Have you spoken to your boss about all this?

SingingGoldfinch Sat 15-Apr-17 19:41:00

Yes, I could go for it but I definitely won't get it. I'm ambitious and up for a challenge but it has been so significantly bumped up I know they are after a different calibre of person - plus, it's now a different kind of role to the one I've been 'acting up' into. I am due to speak to my boss later this week. I'm not sure what he's going to say but I've asked for an honest chat about his vision for the job, the team and my role in that. I'm not convinced I'll get that but it's worth a try. I'm just feeling so flat about it all - I've put my all into the role but it's looking like it was all for nothing and I'll end up going backwards.

PuffinNose Sun 16-Apr-17 00:11:04

I don't understand why you can't apply? If you've been doing the job you have the perfect experience to apply.

SingingGoldfinch Sun 16-Apr-17 08:31:01

I could apply but I know I won't get it. As I said above, the job is being pitched significantly higher than the role I've been doing so it's not a case of just filling the role I'm acting up into. Plus, the fact that it's been so bumped up gives a fairly clear signal that they're looking for something different. In the setting where I work (local government) it would be very unusual for someone to jump from the level I'm currently at to the level of this new role in one go. Applying could be viewed as useful experience but it would be futile I think.

daisychain01 Sun 16-Apr-17 08:31:25

I think what the OP is saying is that the role is almost unrecognisable and the recruiting manager is now asking for a whole different set of skills

As an example, I can imagine it's something like "the role was for a Project Manager, but now we want a Program Manager with experience of building sophisticated dashboards". IOW the OP feels the job has become beyond what they'd feel comfortable taking on.

Although it is really frustrating, try not to think of "two years' contribution wasted" but rather what have you gained in expertise and enhanced skills. It would be worth noting down everything that role involved and pulling out what skills you gained.

Update your CV and have the meeting with your manager about the shape of your role and what exactly they will do when you have to revert to your previous position.

SingingGoldfinch Sun 16-Apr-17 09:26:33

That's exactly it Daisychain. The job is now beyond me and whilst I could legitimately apply and give it a try I have to be realistic abc self aware! Basically the job I started 'acting up' into was a 'manager' role. The job title was then changed to 'head of' but I've basically still been carrying out the manager role. The job is now very definitely being advertised at 'head of level'.

I have gained loads from the experience of acting up and don't regret it at all. I am hoping to get a clearer idea of my boss's thinking later this week and to challenge him a bit on what he sees my role being when I do return. I'll be back working alongside team members I've been managing and I'm not sure that I'll realistically ever be back at that level after what I've been doing. It's hard to completely forget everything you've been doing and for other colleagues to treat you differently. It's all a bit tricky.

daisychain01 Sun 16-Apr-17 10:00:30

Horrible though it is try to see it as a crash course in resilience. Youve done nothing wrong you've probably exceeded your own expectations.

Dont worry about the hierarchy of reverting to work with team members. You are all still people, so if you continue to treat them with respect then your credibility and dignity is preserved ready for the next opportunity.

redexpat Sun 16-Apr-17 11:04:15

I dont see why you cant apply and use it as a tool for career progression? To learn more, take on more responsibility. Why shouldnt you get it? If youve been employed at c level, been acting up at b level for a year, why is a level so unattainable?

SingingGoldfinch Sun 16-Apr-17 12:53:54

The level is significantly different redexpat - not just a couple of grade. So, my current grade is as bottom of management grade structure and the job that is being advertised is off the top of the management pay grades and into 'chief officer' territory. I could apply for experience but I'm realistic enough to accept It's definitely out of reach.

Shopgirl1 Sat 22-Apr-17 09:45:50

That role can't be for what you are doing then, there will be significant other objectives for it. Is it possible they will also need someone to do what you are doing and it has just not been advertised yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now